Wednesday, July 25, 2012

July 25, 2012

For days, I’ve made notes by pen, on the computer and in my mind as I prepared for this week’s update.  One of my first jobs this morning was to take photos of our Kindles (electronic book).  Next I downloaded the most recent post of 2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa (1) onto my Kindle, which included viewing my CLOUD setting – not a cloud filled with potential rain drops, but an ‘unseen’ cloud storing facts, photos, etc. which ‘rains’ down onto one’s computer, Kindle, iPad, even one’s phone!
Then, I sat down for my morning devotions and the first verse I read was:  “I want you to remember… our ancestors... They were under the protection of the CLOUD, and all passed safely through…”(1 Corinthians 10:1) I’m not sure if this was a reminder of our Father’s sense of humour, an affirmation that I was listening to the Holy Spirit’s guidance or a little of both!
I began thinking of sharing how the internet helps our work after reading “Why it’s bad idea not to be on the Internet”  (Daily Nation, 7/20/10, Jobs/1).  I often have to defend my current job relying upon Social Media.  Many people are still leery, with good reasons, of how information is shared via the internet, and like most things, it can be misused, but it can also be a great tool for sharing what God is up to in our part of the world with a large and ready audience.   
This morning, I also used the internet to listen to the newest song recorded by a Kenyan Christian singer.  In “Wewe Mkuu”(2), this friend shares his testimony of God being the Great One in his life.  While listening to this Kiswahili song, I used the internet to find 1 Corinthians 10:1 – to  make sure I was copying the verse correctly (3).  I also googled/ searched to find if the Kiswahili Bible was available via the internet, not just to buy, but to read via computer.  It is and the site is listed below (4).  And yes, one of the few things that I ‘bought’ via the internet to read on my Kindle is the NIV Bible, and though it may show my age, I still like my faithful study Bible in printed book form for my devotions!
As Jack serves as the Trainer/ Liaison with the established Baptist work in Kenya, he also often spends hours each day on the internet.  This is the way he reports monthly on the progress of evangelization and church planting among Kenya’s People Groups – partially based on information he receives via emails and cell phone calls/ text messages (we have not had a land-line phone for years) from Kenyan Baptists leaders.  He downloads books to his computer and Kindle to expand his teaching resources which he uses in our churches, associations, Bible Schools and seminary.  He uses e-mails also to correspond with past and future Baptist volunteers.  The internet is also the way he pays bills and deals with our health insurance.   The internet does provide him with a bit of fun each day as he catches up on sports, especially of his alma mater, Wake Forest University. 
Another ‘internet’ joy for the both of us is using Facebook to keep up with our kids and viewing their posts which share their lives and experiences and we especially enjoy receiving lots of new photos of our 3 year old granddaughter!  Jack said I should also share another ‘internet’ perk – the games I play daily on my computer and my Kindle – my favorites:  Sudoku and Codeword! 
I’m sure that as soon as I post this update to you, I will think of lots of other ways that we use all the gadgets which were not available when we began our work in Kenya in 1978, but I will close and send this on to you. Oops… I just remembered two more gifts of internet:  First, I could not send this update so quickly to you if we didn’t have internet, e-mail, blogs, etc.  Second, we are able to share the things we see and experience that bring us joy – including viewing the boys in our younger kids’ Sunday School class as they enthusiastically took their turn last Sunday singing a song!  Bert
---    ---   ---   ---   --- 
(1)  To view this week’s 2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa, click the top photo or go to:  http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/.  If you have a Kindle, you might also like to download SendToReader at http://sendtoreader.com/ so you can save blog/web pages to share with others.
(2)  Contemporary Urban Gospel Music/ Mbuvi performing the song “Wewe Mkuu” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIUsSMk4XIs&feature=youtu.be
(3) On-line Bibles in English – http://www.biblestudytools.com/; One-line Bible (Biblia) in Kiswahili – http://www.biblica.com/bibles/swahili/

No comments: