Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 21, 2012

As I write,  Jack is teaching at our seminary (Kenya Baptist Theological College), which always leaves him HAPPY and EXHAUSTED!  HAPPY because he loves teaching Church Planting Methods (sorry, I gave you the wrong subject last week) and he is always energized by working with pastors and leaders eager to learn more of how they can serve our Father.  This class includes a young woman from one of our first Baptist churches in East Africa, Shauri Moyo; a pastor ministering in the slums of Nairobi; and a student from a People Group thankfully no longer among the “Least Reached” by the Gospel, but in need of trained pastors, the Maasai.  His EXHAUSTION comes from the drive to and from the school, teaching four hours each day, and answering lots of questions outside of class and then returning home to do more research to answer their intense, deep questions!
Once again, I’m in awe of how God answered my prayers and yours and made it very clear through scripture and ‘happenings’ what I should share this week – which is the JOYS and SORROWS of my week!  I first used these words in “What Is She Doing?”, the new photo album promised last week on our Yates/IMB/Kenya blog, but as usual I had written too many words and these were among the many I cut!  “What Is She Doing?” is of a special view I spotted while Jack taught early this month in western Kenya.  As I worked one day on my computer at the back of the Bible School classroom, a toddler caught my attention.  Thankfully I went outside to see more and viewed a series of actions with touched my heart with both JOY and SORROW. 
JOY and SORROW also came this week as I read co-workers’ blogs in preparation for the daily Prayer Nudges from East Africa.  Today’s prayer nudge is a great example of when you want to be positive and claim JOY, but you are actually more in the SORROW category.   I encourage you to read my co-workers comments and the joy she later claimed in today’s Prayer Nudge from East Africa.  

JOY and SORROW also came this read as we learned of other problems faced by  co-workers.  Missionaries prefer sharing good things that lead to praise, but often praise items follow times of sorrow.  We heard this week that one of our families must return to the States due to the illness of a child.  They are praising God for how travel/ medical arrangements are happening, but they are hurting as they close their time here and say goodbye to friends.  More friends are praising God for safety and protection after a very painful occurrence – a violent robbery while on vacation.  We are praising God that no one was hurt in a very dangerous situation, but we are also praying for peace and comfort for this family, which includes teens and family visiting from the States.
I ask that you join us in praying for these situations and many others, as I share more ‘general prayers’ for missionaries:  Pray for wisdom as we make difficult decisions.  Pray for a clear sense of God’s will in all we do. Pray also for safety as we travel on not-so-safe roads and live in areas where insecurity and tensions can always lead to problems, such as a recent bombing in one of Nairobi’s transport centers.
Before I close, I must add thanks for your praying for my patience and healing from a cold/sinus infection.  I’m definitely on the mend, though a little ‘dinghy’ at the moment from the medicine to deal with the cough left behind!  One more thanks:  Thank you for your prayers and the many ways you support us,  BERT

 ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
For more photos, go to our blog  Yates-IMB-Kenya  –  http://bertandjackyates.blogspot.com
To view 2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa, go to: http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/ or find the Prayer Nudges and other updates from East Africa on Facebook – Bert Yates (https://www.facebook.com/bert.yates)
For an additional bit of JOY, go to the photo album Bert prepared for our church – Women’s Sunday at PBC Mombasa Road - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.136694796457142.24388.100003498676259&type=3&l=92cac2e56b

No comments: