Wednesday, March 14, 2012

March 14, 2012

Today there are no monkeys around to distract me, but I am still late in getting this out.  A partial reason is that I have a horrible cold and I’m not sure if my being a little ‘dinghy’ is the coughing/sinus infection or the medicine.  We did love having a break last week from life in the city of Nairobi, which included long walks in the Kakamega Forest, but my allergies were not as grateful!  The other reason is I simply have so much to share this week.
I always find it amazing how God guides me in composing our updates.  This week’s guidance came in the form of a comment made to the March 10th Prayer Nudge from East Africa, which included a photo of a woman with items on her head and in her arms, followed by a shoeless little girl.  Thank you for posting this. I bought my daughters 2 or 3 pair of new shoes each least weekend and it appears this dear child has none.  What do we do?” 
Later she offered another comment: I am praying that the church, starting with ME, can overcome our (MY) worldly desires joyfully for the advancement of His kingdom. My family does sponsor 2 children and we give to other causes, but is it enough? Are we doing enough when I can still go to the mall and buy pretty much whatever we want?”
To be honest, I live in plastic sandals in Kenya and my first response to my Facebook Friend was:  Many people in East Africa do without shoes - partially due to the costs, but often due to the dust and mud that makes shoes rather useless. Many of the top runners in Kenya - the ones who make it to the Olympics - PREFER running without shoes!”
But, her questions lingered in my mind begging for better answers.  Then God led me to Romans 15:13: “May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” He also led me to Isaiah 11:3,4 which talks of being led by what one sees and hears, rather than by righteousness.  These verses reminded me that those of us who do trust in God must claim His joy and peace and we must overflow with His hope – not with our power, but through the help and guidance of His Holy Spirit.  Only then can we truly serve our Father and bring glory to Him and accomplish His will rather than satisfying our human desires.  I’ve tried to explain this better with the aid of a few of the hundreds of photos taken last week – “What Can We Do?”
I’m ready to rest my fingers, eyes and weary mind, but I will share our current prayer needs before I complete yet another LONG update!  Jack is at the Kenya Baptist Theological College today teaching Baptist History, Faith and Practices, as well as Communications, at our seminary.  Pray for safety as he travels and strength and wisdom as he teaches daily through next week.  Pray that I will be patient and heal quickly from this flu/cold/sinus infection/ whatever it is! This is likely one reason that I was discouraged last week as I wrote, but your prayers, comments and viewing so much of God’s awesome creations helped!  Thank you for the many ways you support us, BERT 
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
To view 2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa at http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/ or find the Prayer Nudges and other updates from East Africa on Facebook – Bert Yates (https://www.facebook.com/bert.yates) or become a Facebook Friend of Imb EastAfrica  ( https://www.facebook.com/Imb.East.Africa )

No comments: