Wednesday, March 28, 2012

March 28, 2012


I’m writing from our seminary this week.  Jack is teaching the late afternoon class at KBTC, so  I and my computer, etc., travel along with him each day, so he doesn’t travel home alone in the dark.  We don’t over-worry about the realities of safety – or lack of – on our roads, but we do try to be wise!
Once a friend YELLED at me while we were on furlough (now Stateside Assignment) when I mentioned  a difficulty of the last year.  He demanded to know WHY we had not shared this as a prayer need!  My response:  Some things ‘not the norm’ to our American friends, are ‘norms’ to us.  We must accept these ‘norms’ as ‘our way of life’ and relying upon God’s guidance (which I firmly believe includes using the common sense He gives us), we make needed adjustments.  
Once again, WHY AM I SHARING THIS TODAY?  Because I want you to know how to pray for us and our co-workers “in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.” (Ephesians 6:18)  And because often missionaries are unsure what to and what not to share, so we do need you praying even when we don’t share needs.  Many in our area are facing difficult times, such as our friends who were robbed last week and several of our friends who are returning to the States due to illnesses and other difficulties. 
BUT, as we and our friends dealing with the robbery and others facing transition, trust and depend upon God, He does provide the needed guidance, strength and encouragement – often from friends such as you!  It amazes us how God answers those situations we are praying about, but cannot fully share in a newsletter.  
I've been discouraged recently about an aspect of my work, something I cannot share, and this week I received two bits of correspondence which was exactly the encouragement I needed!  One, from a man I don’t remember meeting during a furlough , thanked me for guiding him into becoming a Media missionary.  I know God is busy answering our ‘unshared prayers’ and I know your prayers for me are part of the answers I’m receiving!
Jack also sees God answering his personal prayers.  A co-worker, who is also teaching at this round of seminary classes, shared this afternoon how during today’s evangelism class a  student realized she had not fully accepted Christ as her Saviour – and she did during the practice ‘sharing your faith’ session this afternoon!  Trust me, when you see the students GETTING IT (a truly East African expression) – it brings joys, encouragement and strengthening to missionaries! Which leads to another reason that we don’t always share the ‘bad’ – God is at work in so many amazing ways  that it is difficult to dwell on the negatives.
God also often brings us back to what matters!  This morning, we awoke to no water (2nd day) and just as it began dribbling into the pipes, the electricity went out!  As I bemoaned all this, I decided to go to FB and share a quick prayer item for patience and focus.  But the electricity and water became unimportant as I read of the death of our friend, Pastor Arthur Kinyanjui , the first moderator of the Baptist Convention of Kenya, and one of the first Baptist evangelists working with our early missionaries to East Africa.  While we lived in Nakuru, Pastor Kinyanjui was a weekly visitor in our home and ‘our’ pastor at Nakuru Baptist. So, today, I will close by asking you to pray for comfort for Pastor Kinyanjui’s family and friends, as you praise God for his years of  service to our Father.  BERT YATES
 ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Top three photos all captured on the way to our church, Parklands Baptist/Mombasa road, last Sunday.
To view the daily 2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa, go to  http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/ or find the Prayer /God at Work in East Africa Nudges and other updates from East Africa on Facebook – Bert Yates (https://www.facebook.com/bert.yates)
If you have not viewed the photo albums shared in the last two weeks, you might want to view “WHAT IS SHE DOING?” – https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150863201375130.521428.685050129&type=1&l=aef67b728 and “WHAT CAN WE DO?” – https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150846014900130.518785.685050129&type=1&l=7944f4f7da

No comments: