Wednesday, October 27, 2010

October 27, 2010

Should I use one of the first verses I memorized, “Arise, shine, for your light has come” (Isaiah 60:1), or a favorite verse, “…shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life…” (Philippians 2:15,16)? This was just one of my many quandaries as I’ve prepared for this and next week’s Prayer Update and searched for the perfect Bible verses and other information on the internet. Research also included rummaging through a friend’s closet and shopping/prayer walking as I viewed seasonal decorations/ goodies in local Asian shops.

The reason for my busy work: Inspiration for enlisting prayers for an upcoming holiday – one likely not highlighted on your calendar, but many of my friends and possibly some of your acquaintances have marked this day in early November: DIWALI. The University of Kansas Medical Center Diversity Calendar (1) explains it this way: “Diwali is a five day Hindu festival which … means ‘rows of lighted lamps’ … referred to as the Festival of Lights … homes are thoroughly cleaned … Candles and lamps are lit …. Gifts are exchanged and festive meals are prepared ... The celebration means as much to Hindus as Christmas does to Christians.”

I could simply skip this prayer emphasis, but every year God reminds me that although this holiday is not celebrated by “MY” people group, it is celebrated by many living in our part of the world. He also reminds me that because I do not work directly with those who celebrate Diwali, I can lead others to prayer without jeopardizing those among this people group who are seeking “The true light that gives light to every man” (John 1:9).

I will send more prayer nudges next week, including evidence of my research in a friend’s closet, but I ask that you begin now praying for those who will celebrate Diwali. I will be brazen this week and ask that you spend time learning more about Diwali and the Hindu faith – several links are listed below to get you started. I make this request because I know that as you learn about the beliefs of others, it will strengthen your own faith. This knowledge can also strengthen your prayers as you join others in praying on their special religious holidays. As I did my research, I found one interesting PRAYER NUDGE not in the Bible, but on an internet encyclopedia. Wikipedia says that: "While Diwali is popularly known as the 'festival of lights', the most significant spiritual meaning is 'the awareness of the inner light’” (2). So this is how I am joining my Hindu friends in praying this year as they celebrate Diwali: I am praying that they will become aware of the true INNER LIGHT – the inner light that I claim as a follower of Christ.

I make this request also because during my preparation for this Prayer Update, God led me to Acts 25:5 – “They have known me for a long time and can testify, if they are willing.” I am not trying to take Paul’s words “ out of context” – but God continues to remind me that I and many of you reading this Prayer Update have known Him for a long time, but are we willing to testify of Him? Are we willing to be bold and prepared ambassadors of His light? Are we willing to imitate Paul and others by carrying out Philippians 2:15,16 and shining as HIS stars in our world and holding out HIS Word of life and light!
BERT YATES
--- --- --- --- --- ---
(1) University of Kansas Medical Center – Diversity Calendar – Diwali: http://www3.kumc.edu/diversity/ethnic_relig/diwali.html
For a calendar of other religious holidays celebrated around our world – all in need of prayer – go to: http://www3.kumc.edu/diversity/
(2) Wikipedia – Diwali: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diwali
REFLECTING THE INNER LIGHT – a look at what God showed http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=325690&id=685050129&l=95a421e402
Other sites which I found informative:
About.com – The Spiritual Significance of Diwali: http://hinduism.about.com/od/diwalifestivaloflights/a/deepavali.htm
Activity Village – Diwali for Kids: http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/diwali.htm
A blog prepared during an earlier celebrations of Diwali and Ramadan – PRAYING FOR OTHERS: http://omba4kenyaprayforothers.blogspot.com/

No comments: