Wednesday, November 3, 2010

November 3, 2010


“Do you enjoy the flicker of candles and/or the dazzle of fireworks? Then you need to learn about DIWALI!” These words begin the DIWALI PRAYER NUDGES* photo album I posted this morning. I have felt compelled to complete this project for years and to be honest, I can’t fully explain why. I just knew I had to do it!
I do have one simple explanation: BECAUSE I CAN! I can share these prayer nudges without endangering my work or that of others, but more importantly I can guide you in praying for those celebrating Diwali without endangering any seekers. Many people who have a “heart” for Hindus cannot do this.

I just thought of another reason: I believe that we pray more effectively for others if we understand them AND I want you to understand my friends and acquaintances who are seeking peace, joy and truth during their very colourful celebration. I also want you to join them in prayer! I also know that many of you reading this Prayer Update also have friends, neighbours and acquaintances celebrating Diwali and I want to help you share this special time with them.
The pictures in this Prayer Nudge photo album is different from others I have shared. There are no pictures of people or places – all the photos are of bits of fabric used in Saris and Punjabi outfits! If you enjoy color, design, something outside the norm, you will want to view the DIWALI PRAYER NUDGES photo album!

The official celebration of Diwali is a five day period, but many celebrate for weeks. We have already been startled many evenings by pops of fireworks, but by this weekend I may not be such a fan of the dazzling aerial displays. Our house is in a valley with temples on three sides and a wealthy celebrant on the fourth, so when the REAL shows begin tonight through this weekend, our house will fill not only with popping, but with lots and lots of smoke! So if you have extra time for praying – pray for easy breathing at our house!
I also ask this week that you join us in praying for Kenyan students. Form Four students are in the midst of 19 straight school days of testing on all they have learned during their four years of high school. The results of most students will determine their future opportunities for study and life! Class 8 kids will take their national exams next week on all they have studied in primary school – exams which will determine if many continue to high school. Pray for clear minds, good health, confident spirits, and no outside difficulties during the testing.**

Before I end this week's Prayer Update, I will share one more reason I’ve realized should be my most compelling reason for sharing the DIWALI PRAYER NUDGES: Because I have many of the answers that celebrants of Diwali are seeking – NOT because I am that smart, but because I claim the scriptures included in this prayer guide! Thanks once again for allowing me to share our prayer requests with you and the assurance we have of your support, BERT YATES
--- --- --- --- --- ---
* PRAYER NUDGES http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=328616&id=685050129&l=e704a32794 (You do not need to be a member of FACEBOOK to view and pray-through this Prayer Nudge photo album.
** I have posted and will continue posting new pictures and prayer nudges for Kenyan students taking exams on Facebook – if you are a FB member, please ask to become my Friend/Prayer Partner so you can pray more effectively! You are also welcome to share suggestions for others who can join us in prayer.

No comments: