Wednesday, October 20, 2010

October 20, 2010

FRUSTRATED – That was how I felt after writing last week’s prayer update and composing the photo album, “A JOURNEY OF TRUSTING AND OBEYING.” Later, I realized the problem – It was not what I saw with my eyes that I wanted you to perceive/view/understand, I wanted you to know the thoughts of my heart! So, I’ve tried again by offering a new prayer nudge photo album, “SEEING WITH MY EYES AND HEART – Another Look at Membley Baptist Church.” MY prayer is that this new photo album will lead you to praying for ALL of the body of Christ in Kenya and in other parts of our world, not just for Membley Baptist.

Today is a national holiday in Kenya, once called Kenyatta Day to honor Kenya’s first president, but now known as Mashujaa Day – Mashujaa is the Swahili word for warriors/brave men/champions. I did not intentionally choose to prepare “Seeing with my Eyes and Heart” to coincide with this holiday to remember Kenya’s past heroes, but it is appropriate as this Prayer Walk ends with Deuteronomy 4:9, “Be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.”

Jack is enjoying a break today after two weeks of teaching Baptist Faith, History and Practice to second year seminary students. Thankfully, he had spent extra time “perfecting” his teaching notes as this was an unusually bright class with an incredible desire to truly know and obey God’s Word! As I shared last week, “The 19 men and women in this class of Youth Ministers are from many different parts of Kenya – from the cities to very rural areas, including areas that are only now being reached by the Gospel. There are also two students from Burundi and a refugee from Sudan. Several students are from other denominations.” Pray for this group as they return over the weekend to their homes and ministries. Pray for wisdom and strength as they apply what they are learning and use it to strengthen their ability to share our Father’s love and salvation with their people during the next three months before they return next year for another intensive three weeks of study. Thank you for praying for Jack as he taught and as he traveled daily to our seminary. Pray for him during the next week as he works on reports/action plans.

My number one prayer need at the moment is for patience as I work on the computer – most days our internet works very well, BUT then there are days (and today is one of those!) when a planned 10 minute job takes hours! Pray always that I will allow God to direct my every action and especially my reaction during the frustrating times!
BERT YATES
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

No comments: