Wednesday, October 13, 2010

October 13, 2010

“Writing this week's prayer update and composing JUST one photo album seems impossible at the moment due to a great reason - I've viewed God at work in super exciting ways this week!” When I posted this note on FACEBOOK yesterday, I asked myself if I was sounding too “religious.” Yes, we do face many problems/ concerns/ etc., but our lives are also filled with joy and excitement as we see God at work in our part of the world and get to join in His work!

Last Sunday is a good example. We wanted to join friends in celebrating the 8th anniversary of Membley Baptist Church – BUT this is our springtime and no amount of medicine can match my ability to breathe with my appreciation for the beautiful flowers in our yard – AND when I awoke that morning, the breathing problems were winning! As I debated if I should made the dusty drive and be away from home until late afternoon, an unexpected thought crossed my mind: What great adventure did God have in store for me to see and experience that day?

THEN during my devotion, I read Acts 22:16, “You will be his witness…of what you have seen and heard!” – which is followed by “What are you waiting for? Get up…” (Acts 22:17). So, even though I knew I might fall asleep during the service due to the required dawa (Swahili/ medicine), I got up and went – thankfully, I was drowsy, but I stayed awake – AND going was the right decision! Words or even pictures cannot fully share the excitement of the day – but my try at being “His witness of what I saw and heard” can be found in a new photo album, A Journey of Trusting and Obeying.

Jack is experiencing an additional excitement this week – teaching Baptist Faith, History and Practice at Kenya Baptist Theological College. This opportunity to strengthen others in their ability to serve and obey our Father has been especially encouraging to Jack. The 19 men and women in this class of Youth Ministers are from many different parts of Kenya – from the cities to very rural areas, including areas that are only now being reached by the Gospel. There are also two students from Burundi and a refugee from Sudan. Several students are from other denominations. Jack says the one thing they have in common is that they are all very smart and eager! It truly excites Jack when he thinks of the incredible impact these 19 young “God’s fellow workers” can have ON and IN our world!

Pray for Jack as he continues teaching through next week. Pray for clarity as he teaches and that he will allow the Holy Spirit to direct his every action and reaction. Pray for wisdom for me as I relate to many young Baptists who have a heart for using media as a way of serving their Savior. Join us also in praising God for how He is at work among Kenyan Baptists. Yes, I did say earlier that “we do face many problems/ concerns/ etc.”, but due to space and sensitivity, we cannot freely share these needs, but ask that you pray that we will rely upon God for His wisdom, direction and strength every moment of every day. BERT
--- --- --- --- ---
In addition to the Photo Album, A Journey of Trusting and Obeying, I have posted two more photo albums on Facebook this week that you might enjoy viewing. You might also want to view the blog that I completed after Membley’s 6th anniversary, which coincided with the retirement of IMB co-workers. Remember: You do not have to be a Facebook member to view the pictures, but if you are, please “request” that I become your friend as I daily post new pictures/comments.
6th Anniversary of Membley Baptist: A Celebration of the Goodness of the Lord - http://goodnessofthelord.blogspot.com/

No comments: