Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August 28, 2013

Thanks to a busy schedule, my plan was for today’s update to be short and concise and it almost became even shorter!  While uploading a video to share with you, I realized that I shared a very similar one with you in early July.  After a bit of thought, I continued with the upload of a video made last Sunday during Men’s Sunday at our church in Nairobi, Parklands Baptist/Mombasa Road.

The video?  Another recording of Kenyan friends singing, “Bwana Mungu, Nashangaa,” which you will recognize as “How Great Thou Art” in Kiswahili which is shared below!

It was true happiness and joy last Saturday as
we celebrated the wedding of  one of our deacons
with our church family and other friends.
WHY?  Because God has challenged me this week to not focus on the problems, frustrations and disappointments we encounter, but to remember that the work we do is not OUR work, but His.  He has reminded me that I need to spend time praying rather than worrying and being discouraged!

It was a joy to watch the young daughter
of friends enjoying the wedding flowers
and obviously doing a bit of dreaming!
As I read His words during my devotions and listened as His Words were read at a wedding of friends last Saturday and at our church on Sunday, I realized how seldom I focus on celebrating my relationship with my heavenly Father.  My focus must be on responding with happiness, joy and gladness (Esther 8:16) – the happiness, joy and gladness that comes from allowing Him to be “my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust" (Psalm 91:2). 

It is always a time of gladness when we
visit with our church family!
Thus this week, join us in praying for wisdom, strengthening and encouragement for Jack, me and others serving in our Father’s Harvest Field of Sub-Saharan African Peoples.  God IS at work, but as always the devil is also at work discouraging and frustrating God’s workers.  The devil wants us to lose focus of the day when our Lord’s salvation is proclaimed, His glory declared among the nations, His marvelous deeds among all peoples, the day when all peoples accept our Lord’s greatness and offer praise and honor to Him and only Him (Psalm 96:1-4)!  

Another source of joy in Africa:  People watching...
Pray for Jack as he teaches Baptist History and Church Planting next week (5 to 6 hours of teaching most days) at Kenya Baptist Theological College.  Pray for me as I seek to strengthen and encourage coworkers among Sub-Saharan African Peoples and help them share their ‘how God is at work’ stories and how others can join His work through praying, giving and serving. 


... and enjoying the walking shops along the roads!
Our last prayer request?  That you join us this week in living Psalm 100 – “Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth. Worship the LORD with gladness; come before him with joyful songs. Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.  Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the LORD is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.” BERT YATES

Happiness also comes from viewing herds of giraffe not
only in the game parks, but in dukas along the city roads!
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Nudges to Action - Praying, Serving and Giving for Sub-Saharan African Peoples, one part of Bert's work, can be found athttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Sub-Saharan-African-Peoples/100173880060607?ref=hl or at the blog
SSAP Nudges to Action – Praying, Serving and Giving.
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---

And one more photo - a great source of joy for Bert
at lunchtime today - Swahili Coconut Fish,
Sukumawiki (greens) and Ugali (thick cooked corn meal).

No comments: