Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 21, 2013

To celebrate our birthdays, on the 16th
(between my special day and Jack's),
we visited the home of a group of artists/
craftsmen/women on the edge of Nairobi.
Jack and I both turned a year older last week and we’re celebrating our wedding anniversary today (our 42nd and although we are very thankful for all your greetings, I’m skipping the birthday numbers), but I’m not too old or mature for God’s Word to still be “sharper than any double edged sword” judging “the thoughts and attitudes of MY heart” (Hebrews 5:12).

A constant prayer need for workers in Africa
- safety as we travel on obstacle course roads!
As I read in the book of Nehemiah this morning two phrases, “We also assume responsibility for…” (10:32, 35) and “We will not neglect…” (v.39), led to my using the Word of God to ask myself many questions.  And possibly because we have acknowledged that we are a bit older, I also found myself reassessing why Jack and I continue to feel that our place of service is among Sub-Saharan African Peoples (SSAP).

If one knows where to look and are not
too picky, they can find almost anything
they want in the city of Nairobi!
During this morning’s devotions, I found myself reading several familiar passages as questions, such as:

- Do I “Sing to the Lord, praise his name; proclaim his salvation day after day” (v.1), not just sometimes, but EVERY DAY, EVERY OPPORTUNITY? Do I believe that I can be a part of DECLARING “his glory among the nations”?

Many of the photos that I take each week are
'saved' for later slideshows , such as this one
which will be used later in social
networking presentations.
- Do I truly believe that Believers around our world can “Declare… his marvelous deeds among all people” (v.3) – not just to some but among ALL people? (The theme verse for our SSAP affinity.)

- Do those around me, my friends as well as the man who chooses vegetables for me at the market or the beggar I often pass, the woman whose kids play at a busy intersection, know that I believe that my Lord is “great… and most worthy of praise; he is to be feared above all gods” (v.4)?

Many people in Kenya are self-employed,
such as this man who walks around our part
of the city selling real LOOFAHS at
a greatly reduced price from the prices
at spas in Europe and the US.
- Do I know how to begin and how often do I take time for conversations with friends of other faiths, such as the friend who sells Bhajias (spicy, battered deep-fried potatoes) or the one who sells bread at her shop, and share that “all the gods of nations are idols, but the LORD made the heavens” (v. 5)?

This is the type of bed frame which is on my wish list!
- Have I clearly made known to others that my heavenly Father is the true God; the one that “families of nations (should) ascribe glory and strength;” the one we should “Worship… in the splendour of his holiness;” the one and only one that those of us on earth should “tremble before” (vv. 6-9)?

Kenyan national schools are on holiday during
April, August and December. Pray for God's
blessings as many churches offer
Vacation Bible Schools this month.
- Do I fully use my time, energy, possessions and talents to obey my Saviour and “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything … commanded” (Matthew 28:19-20)? Do I believe and live as though my Saviour is always with me?

- Am I doing all God has called me to do to proclaim the “eternal gospel… to every nation, tribe, language and people” (Revelation 14:6)? What am I doing to help others do this?

Bert also uses Social Networking
to share things on FB sites for those
who are a bit homesick for Africa!
I wish I could report that I answered all these questions with a firm YES, but my YES’s varied in degrees of strength and I had to acknowledge a few more in the NO category.  I ask that you pray for Jack and I as we seek to share our faith with those who lack our Father’s love and salvation, those who lack the affirmation of eternal life.

Pray also for us as we seek to strengthen and encourage others (including our Kenyan church family, our IMB coworkers, and Jack’s students) as Believers prepare for the day when “At the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth… and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father” (Philippians 2:9,10). Bert Yates
--- --- --- --- ---
A new slide show, “Colours and Activities Viewed Last Week” can be viewed at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152116448180130.1073741834.685050129&type=1&l=145511baec . (Non-FB members can view this slideshow.)

Nudges to Action - Praying, Serving and Giving for Sub-Saharan African Peoples, one part of Bert's work, can be found athttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Sub-Saharan-African-Peoples/100173880060607?ref=hl or at the blog
SSAP Nudges to Action – Praying, Serving and Giving.
An added photo showing Jack's special buddy who appears almost
every morning at a bedroom window to watch him as he exercises!

No comments: