Wednesday, September 21, 2011

September 21, 2011

Yes, I’m running late again today thanks to multiple frustrations! First, the electricity is off at our house, so when Jack left to teach at our seminary, I packed up and came with him knowing that the neighboring Brackenhurst Baptist Conference Centre has a generator to use if their electricity is out – ONLY to discover that my speedier internet does not work in this area outside Nairobi. So, bear with me as try to complete what I began at home now that I’ve switched internet set-ups, which was complicated today (I rely on three types) and dealt with a few more frustrations!

This has been a week of praising God for how East African Believers are serving our Father, beginning with a story Jack heard from a third year student at Kenya Baptist Theological College (all items in quotes was added by Jack): “For the last two years I have travelled every month to the southern coast of Kenya to teach pastors of all denominations and tribes (an area where there are few Christians among the major People Group – most follow Islam and traditional beliefs). They invited me because I was a student at KBTC and I was willing to go. They pay for my travel (less than $3.50 per pastor, but a sacrifice for most) and I have a sponsor who paid my hotel arrangements. After a few months I realized that staying at a hotel separated me from the pastors. I asked the sponsor to give the money to the pastor who hosts me each session, so now the pastors rotate hosting me. I teach my sponsor’s curriculum, which is not Baptist, so whenever I find a section I don’t agree with as a Baptist, I leave it out! Since I am the only one trained at the simplest level, all the students are interested in attending KBTC someday – one even joined a class this year.”

Jack’s response to the story: I shared my CPM training manual with him and will mentor him when possible. During a survey trip to identify Bible School needs on the coast in October, we will look into the possibility of starting a Bible School in the area.

Now for Jack’s prayer needs: Pray for him as he continues teaching Baptist Beliefs, History and Practicethis week to the 3rd year Youth Ministry class at KBTC. He continues to be impressed by the hearts and minds of these 11 students (from Kenya, Uganda and South Sudan/ 8 men, 3 women) and asks that you join him in praying that they will be strong and capable sharers of our Father’s love and salvation with the youth and children of East Africa. Pray for him as he helps plan the survey trip to the coast in October and prepares for the completion of the Baptist Beliefs course in November.


An
other great story was shared in today’s 2011 Prayer Update from East Africa.* This prayer nudge was seeking prayer support “for a group of missionaries (national and international) from East African Baptist churches who will travel tomorrow to minister to the hunger, thirst and illnesses in one area affected by famine. Pray for safety, sensitivity, good health and that their work will go smoothly. Pray especially for spiritual strength and wisdom as they minister in the name of our Father, the giver of the greatest HOPE.” It is a joy for us to watch our younger missionaries partnering with pastors and members of our Baptist church as they serve our Father.

Yet another story was spotted this morning in a FACEBOOK message posted last night by a second generation Kenyan Baptist pastor: Thanks all for your prayers and encouragement. Our day started well at 6.45 a.m and went out for a journey that would take us to the remotest parts of Turkana were we see poverty but also the Joy of the Lord. Whenever we went, mainly under trees where they have churches, we were welcomed. We fed about 1200 people. Tomorrow we expect over 2000. Continue to pray.”

My response: “Great news! Thanks for being our Father’s Heart, Hands and Voice among the Turkana, an area with many unreached people who are in need of physical food and water as well as Spiritual Food and Water!” Those of you who are already preparing for this year’s International Missions/Lottie Moon Emphasis will recognize the 2011 theme: “His Heart, His Hands, His Voices.” I have begun preparation for helping our staff and other Believers in East Africa share how we are serving as our Father’s Heart, Hands and Voice. Pray that I will stay focused and productive as I work. Pray that I will be sensitive to our Father’s guidance, as well as sensitive to those who have a story to share. Pray that the new blogs, FB pages, newsletters, etc., I prepare to promote this year’s Southern Baptist International Missions emphasis will strengthen and encourage my fellow workers in East Africa as well as those who will be celebrating the upcoming Lottie Moon.

Thank you once again for being a part of our support team – especially for your prayer support! BERT YATES

* 2011 Prayer Nudges from East Africa - http://easternafrica2011prayernudges.blogspot.com/

No comments: