Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What I missed yesterday!

I don’t want to over load your e-mail boxes, but I made a discovery this morning that I think will brighten your day. I snapped three pictures of the little girl from Kitale that I introduced to you yesterday. As I scanned the pictures more closely today, I realized that in addition to the little doll tied to her back, she has a small set of binoculars around her neck! It appears that not only was she playing “mommy,” she was also playing a favorite game of my kids when they were little – actually a favorite game of most African Missionary Kids – TOURIST! No offence to the many of you who have been volunteers, but we all have been entertained at times by “tourist watching” and many, many missionary kids have (or have had) toy binoculars, broken cameras, and safari hats, etc, among their toys to be used when they include being a tourist to their repertoire of playing teacher, doctor, etc!

Sometimes playing tourist comes with a little extra! When our son was four, we heard him talking on our balcony with three other people – one with an English accent, one with an Indian (Asian) accent and one with a distinct Kenyan accent. This was a little confusing as our apartment was on the second floor and we were certain that John was alone on the balcony. He was alone, but was trying out all the accents he was hearing in our multi-culture new home! We later realized that this is another common source of entertainment of Missionary Kids – perfecting and using new accents! AND YES, more than one missionary is also a pro at this!

Have a good day, Bert

No comments: