Wednesday, March 18, 2009

March 18, 2009

Thanks for praying for last week’s meeting of the leaders of the Baptist Convention of Kenya 2 Timothy Discipleship Program which LifeWay is helping to begin. Your prayers that “we will truly seek God’s will in our decisions and that our actions will lead to greater spiritual growth in our churches and God’s name being made known in Kenya and other nations” were answered. It was a truly amazing group of excited young adults and older dedicated leaders. Their desire to teach all they knew to other reliable disciples was amazing!

The only negative was that of the 35 attendees, I was the only woman – and YES, I did challenge them when it was my turn for greetings! We have many women active in discipleship and I was promised that at future meetings I would not be the lone woman! Pray for Jack and me as we travel to the Machakos area, east of Nairobi, tomorrow to meet volunteers who have been teaching others to lead the 2 Timothy Discipleship training. The purpose of the meeting is to evaluate the training as we continue refining it so that it will truly lead to quality discipleship training in all our Baptist churches.

Continue praying for good time management for Jack and me in the coming weeks as we prepare to leave on April 30th for a four-month Stateside Assignment (furlough). Pray for Jack as he spends extra time with Yallo, a young man who has just completed a seminary programme and is searching for his best places of ministry. Much of Jack's work is talking with pastors and leaders. Pray for wisdom and the gift of encouragement during these planned and unplanned times.

My greatest prayer need is for wisdom, patience and strong eyes as I sort, label and save all the pictures I’ve taken as a Prayer Advocate – a necessity so that I and others can use them more effectively in illustrating prayer items. Pray for me also as I prepare the media presentations we will use during our leave. After years of preparing materials for East Africans, I’m still learning to prepare materials that will speak to Americans!

Jack is leading a CPM (Church Planting Methods) training this weekend in the Kitale in western Kenya near the Uganda border. I will tag along to get pictures and new prayer items to share with you from this area where many of the neighbouring people groups are still among those unreached by the Gospel. Pray that Jack will be able to share his love for church planting in a way that will awaken a new desire in that area for sharing our Father’s love and salvation. Pray that I will have an open heart, mind, eyes and ears as I absorb all that we experience this weekend. Pray also for safe travel – it is a long trip on great and not-so-great roads!

Please be assured that you do encourage us and strengthen our work as you pray for us. We do depend upon you! Bert Yates

No comments: