Wednesday, June 25, 2008

May 10, 2008

I sent this note yesterday afternoon to some of our retired missionaries, but it also applies to of you: I’m exhausted at the moment and have at least one if not two (was two!) more batches of dishes to wash (Jack can’t yet bend his right arm enough after his shoulder replacement to safely wash dishes, or it would be his job!) but I have to write and let you know that some of you got me “through this morning” – don’t worry, it wasn’t a bad experience, but a good one. The officers of the Baptist Convention of Kenya were scheduled to have a meeting today and to make it easier for Jack, who finds Kenya pot-holes painful these days, they met at our house. Of course, it began late, so Jack and I quickly realized that in addition to the mango muffins I had made for tea-time, I needed to fix a quick lunch as a few had traveled to make the meeting and supper last night had been their last meal. I had planned to do a prayer update during the meeting (which I did complete later in the afternoon), but when I began to debate if I could (time, availability of items, end-of-the-pay-period financial limits, etc), I thought of how many of you would be green with envy at the opportunity I had to prepare a meal for this special bunch of guys – there is one female officer, Mrs. Bomet, but she was unable to come today. So, thinking of many of you, I scavenged in the fridge, freezer, and cupboards and ended up with a huge pot of beef vegetable soup and real American biscuits – the home-made rolled-out kind. I was short on corn meal, so I couldn’t make what many expect at our house – American baked ugali, better known as corn bread! Thanks for your help in keeping my spirits up, Bert Yates

As you can see, some of your “general” prayers were answered for us yesterday. You can also see from the note and the attached picture taken yesterday morning, Jack is doing well. The sling is driving him crazy and there is still “healing” pain, but the strength in his right arm is returning and he is definitely improving although arm movement is limited. He is seeing a physical therapist a block from our house – which is truly an answer to prayer and saves us both lots of time as otherwise it would be among my chauffeuring duties. We continue to be so, so thankful for the great medical care that the IMB provides us thanks to your gifts to the Lottie Moon Offering and the Cooperative Program.
Our greatest prayer need is for Jack to sleep better. Between the pain which will continue until healing is further along and having to wear the sling, Jack, who normally sleeps through anything, is experiencing frustrating “awake” times at night. Pray also for patience as he continues to be limited in his activities for a few more months. Our praise is for how co-workers are helping, such as meeting at our house rather than across town and my being able to claim a temporary space at the mission office to use on the days that I drive Jack to his office days. We are also surviving my being the designated driver. I am accustomed to driving all over the city, etc, but I’m usually alone and not having to watch out for every little bump and dip – the big ones, which are also numerous, are easy to spot – but Jack’s shoulder doesn’t like the little ones right now! I don’t find driving in Nairobi to be the adventure that it is for Jack, so I also need prayers for patience.

Thanks for your love, concern, notes and prayers – you are definitely strengthening and encouraging us, Bert

No comments: