Wednesday, October 31, 2012

October 31, 2012

What is your life like? What is different? What is the same? We have been asked these questions many times since coming to East Africa. With the aid of notes shared on Facebook this past week, plus added comments in brackets, I will share a few answers!

Thursday: WOW moment! In '78 we thought our big adjustment would be to African life. WRONG! It was to living in a recent British colony! But as I prepared dinner last night, I realized that that making Yorkshire Pudding is now as 'normal' as making biscuits - the Southern bread, not British cookie! (Another recent WOW moment: While watching a Cricket Match on TV, I realized that I actually now prefer cricket over baseball!)


Friday: I say, "I need a perk," and walk out of the room housing my desk. Jack says: "What is that pecking in your 'office'?" God had sent a 'perk'! Great assurance of His constant care! (This happened as I completed last week’s update. The perk was two beautiful yellow birds playing at the window beside my desk.)


Saturday: I could skip the burning incense in the businesses owned by those of other faiths, but spotting their altars (corners/ decorated boxes housing their favoured gods) always leaves me challenged. Do they see me expressing my love and adoration for my God? (Viewing one of the altars, a silver box with doors mounted on a wall, while out shopping, I noted someone’s favorite mug and a roll of toilet paper atop the box. My first reaction, “Is this a gift to their god or simply an available but strange ledge for storage?” Then my critical thoughts switched to “What about my life shows disrespect to my God?”)


Sunday: What cannot be seen in this (above) photo: The brand new Mercedes Benz car which had just passed the donkey cart and our vehicle, an old, but very reliable Rav. Great reminder of the contrasts found in Africa, contrasts requiring lots of prayer and action!

Monday: (Three photos with the following comments.) 1/As we went to bed last night, I noticed a flurry of flying termites outside the bedroom window and as expected the side-walk was 'snowed under' this morning with wings! 2/A mat left to dry after heavy rains on Saturday night provided a great picnic spot for all the squawking birds which appeared this morning! 3/Not the greatest photo, but one busy parent sharing the termite feast!

Tuesday: Turned on the TV this morning before breakfast - can't remember when we last did that! Praying for safety and calm for all our family and friends as they deal with Sandy. (At least one of our kids, Jessie, did lose electricity, but she was excited! A good friend’s flight was rerouted due to the storm and the diversion took her to the airport a few miles from Jessie! Vajini also grew up in Africa, so the lack of electricity was ‘life as usual’!)

Wednesday: (Today’s Prayer Nudge from East Africa) Spotted yesterday in an East African grocery store. A missionary’s reaction: Never seen this in our part of the world AND it is on the shelf at the right time, not around another ‘holiday’ which usually happens! (Next thoughts shared in comments: Thanks to TV/DVD’s and travel, people are learning of others' special days. Another tool Believers can use! The shop owners and those of other faiths love to discuss American culture, which can easily lead to more important discussions!)

Hope you enjoyed this view of our lives and that it helps you pray for us. My specific need this week is for guidance as I seek better ways to share what God is doing in our part of the world via the internet. Pray for Jack as he seeks God’s direction in how to best encourage and strengthen the Baptist work in Kenya. BERT
--- --- --- --- ---
As of today, I am once again posting daily Prayer Nudges, which can be found at http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/


No comments: