Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September 5, 2012


Almost every week as I begin writing this update I remember a young friend saying she could share her life in East Africa via words and photos, but there were things she simply couldn’t explain. Her praise at that moment was that a special friend had visited and experienced her life and the culture of her People.  The result was that now she had someone at home “who kind of ‘gets’ it”.

I also thought of her words yesterday as I prepared today’s Nudge from East Africa. I’ve learned to check and re-check what I write, evaluating if our supporters will understand what I’m seeking to share.  My desire is not to break hearts or leave supporters focused on the missionaries who are facing different cultures and experiences, but to guide you in praying with insight and understanding for the People and situations we encounter.

Today is definitely one of those times when I want you to see and hear Jack’s and my hearts, yet focus not on us, but on bringing glory and praise to our Father and fulfilling His desire for His “eternal gospel” to be proclaimed to all “who live on the earth – to every nation, tribe, language and people” (Rev 14:6). Don’t worry, it has not been a bad week, but a very good one as hopefully you see in the photos sharing our week's experiences.

One reason for our truly desiring you to know our hearts is that we do depend upon your prayers! Jack’s major prayer request this week is for quality study time as he prepares to teach another round of ‘Baptist Faith and History’ next week at our seminary and for a ‘Church History’ course he will teach later this year for the first time.

Pray also for Jack as he relates to the Baptist Convention of Kenya as they begin a time of transition with an interim leadership team.  Pray that Jack will know exactly what to do and what not to do as he seeks to encourage and support our churches and leadership. Another prayer request is for Jack as he serves on the ordination council for ten new pastors and deacons of our church and for me as I help with the interview process.

My greatest prayer request is for a personal time of transition.  As of this week my work is changing focus or rather expanding focus as I partner with the media team of our Affinity, Sub-Saharan African Peoples.  In coming weeks I will begin sharing the stories of not only our staff from East Africa, but from all of Sub-Sahara Africa.  Pray for me as I also find what to do and what not to do as I seek a new balance in my work!  Pray for sensitivity and insight as l seek to share how God is at work in all of Sub-Sahara Africa, how He has already blessed our past investments, and new ways His children can invest time, finances and prayer in His work!  BERT
---   ---   ---   ---   ---

No comments: