Wednesday, August 22, 2012

August 22, 2012

“The only thing that counts is…”  I wouldn’t say that Paul’s words in Galatians 5:6 haunted me after I read it during my devotions last week, but the words definitely became alive and active, challenging me to apply this to my life, to my work.  I’m sure one reason is that I’m seeking to find a new balance in my work as I respond to a request to assist our affinity media team.  But, I have found in the last few days, that as I determine what I do, how I plan my time, “The only thing that counts” is a valuable guide!   
I also thought of this as someone commented that I was rather ‘passionate’ about my work.  I am, but I believe without a doubt that this is another guide which the Holy Spirit gives us – Passion!  I know that Jack and I are the happiest when we are busy doing work that we are passionate about, probably because it is the work God has called us to do.

For me, that is using media – internet media these days – to share what God is doing in our part of the world and how others can join in His work by coming as short or long term staff, providing the needed finances, and by praying.  Pray for God’s guidance in ‘what really counts’ as I reorganize my work in the coming weeks, subtract some things and add other work. Pray also that by sharing the stories of our co-workers, they will receive encouragement and strengthening.
You can also likely guess Jack’s passion – Teaching!  As I type he is teaching another day of three/two hour classes at our seminary.  This week he began teaching ‘Principles of Teaching’ to one of the newer classes of the seminary.  As he returns between classes to the cottage where we are staying during this three week session, though his level of being tired grows after each class, his excitement also increases! I often ask him after a class, “What excited you during this class period?”  Here are a few of his answers in the last two weeks:
- “They gave their testimonies today.  I’m not sure if they were more excited about the opportunity to share or from hearing the testimonies of others.  All Believers should do this more often!”
- “I just love teaching!  I love hearing of fruit produced, seeing maturity in action or experiencing a student’s epiphany!”
- “It thrills me to hear a student share, repeat or use a lesson I taught.”
- “I enjoy the students.  I enjoy our discussions.  Several thanked me today for solving a great riddle in their lives or churches.”
- “They got excited this morning as I taught about teaching people with learning disabilities.  It was really cold (high 50’s in the early morning), but they were following what I taught.  For some, it was like I was ‘connecting dots’ in their past experiences as students or while relating to friends, family and others in their lives and ministry.”
- “I loved today how they responded by saying, ‘I’ve never heard this before, but it explains things.’”
Jack also enjoys teaching in a different way, such as he did last Sunday when he was asked to speka during the men’s Sunday at our church, Parklands Baptist Church/Mombasa Road.  His theme, “Be strong and courageous,” based on Matthew 10:9-20, provided a great opportunity to challenge Believers to go out as our Saviour taught us to do, to share His Good News and obey His commands in Matthew 28:19-20 of going, making disciples, baptizing and teaching – which includes doing all of this with younger generations who will continue doing all these things!
Jack’s prayer needs this week is for a safe and good two day trip to South Africa where he to have a check-up with the doctor who did his shoulder replacement a few years ago.  Pray also for strength and wisdom as he completes this ‘session’ of teaching with another marathon of teaching from 7:30 till 4 next Monday through Friday.   
Now for praises.  My internet strength has been adequate, but not great during the last few days, but things improved this morning and I was able to download a new video captured last week, “Lessons from a Bird” (link below).  Another praise is that Jack had a great birthday last Saturday, with his celebrating continuing through Sunday thanks to all his friends at church, and though we celebrated a ‘quiet’ 41st anniversary this week at our temporary home at the seminary, it was a great day!  Thanks for all the ways you encourage and support us as we seek to encourage and support East African Believers! BERT YATES
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
 "Lessons from a Bird"  - “Watching and listening to this bird outside my window as I worked at a teacher's cottage at the Kenya Baptist Theological College, I realized that Believers who desire to share their Father's love and salvation can learn much from this bird. You can't just talk or preach! You must know that you are truly communicating - which means talking WITH others - listening to them, knowing what they are hearing and responding to them. We must make certain that others are truly understanding and hearing our Good News not only with their ears, but more importantly with their hearts!”.  The video is found at https://plus.google.com/photos/105343089902291545775/albums/5779412293053602977

No comments: