Wednesday, May 9, 2012

May 9, 2012

Electricity is on and has been very reliable this week at our house, but our recent 8+ hour outages seem rather insignificant compared to co-workers in another part of the city who are now up to 8+ days!  So although I am writing with a little more speed than usual as the power  has come and gone numerous times this morning, I am thankful for your prayers for reliable electricity so we can accomplish our work!  Thank you also for praying for me as I continue to catch up from an illness I didn’t even know I had!  I’m still not content with my energy level, but it is improving and I’m accomplishing more when I sit at the computer to work!
Because of still hibernating at home, I was unsure what to share with you this week and then two things ‘occurred’ this morning, both related to stories shared during the week as Prayer Nudges/What God is Doing In East Africa and both reminders of Scriptures that ‘jumped out’ this week.  Mark 1:14,15 records that soon after Jesus began “proclaiming the good news of God” and challenging people to “Repent and believe the good news,” He told His disciples, “Let us go somewhere else—to the nearby villages—so I can preach there also.  THAT IS WHY I HAVE COME” (Mark 1:38).  
I had used that scripture in today’s Prayer Nudge: “Missionaries are often confident of what, where, and why God has called them to East Africa, but they face obstacles – from illnesses, to impassable roads, to an ‘expired’ box of JELLO delaying needed legal clearance of a passport needed for travel – YES, you read that correctly!  Pray for wisdom and patience as Believers seek to obey their Savior who confidently stated His destination and planned work because He knew, “That is why I have come” (Mark 1:38).”
The first of this morning’s ‘occurrences’ occurred as I took photos of my JELLO boxes, most inherited from retiring friends, to illustrate the frustrations of co-workers unable to return to their research/ministry in another East African country, thanks to a wee box of dated JELLO! As I took the photos, I remembered discussions with these friends about their delay in returning for research, discipleship and service in their temporary assignment—Is the devil being very creative or is this a part of God’s plan for accomplishing His work?  AND then God sent a bit of humour as I returned my JELLO (which I rarely use) to their storage spot, I checked the expiration dates – ALL were ‘expired’, the grape one above was really, really EXPIRED!!!  ALSO, we no longer have that box of JELLO – we gave it our co-workers as a special gift!  So another praise today:  God’s gift of a sense of humor!
Today’s second story is not one of humour.  I have spent hours this week preparing nudges for co-workers who travelled from their home in Rwanda with plans to obey our Savior by proclaiming the Good News in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo.  As they travelled last weekend, they realized that God also had plans to soften their hearts and open their eyes and ears (Mark 8:17,18) as they viewed  thousands of refugees fleeing new fighting in eastern DRC.  Their prayers will be shared later this week in Prayer Nudges.
Today’s second ‘occurrence’ came as I searched the internet for a “Congolese flee to Rwanda” news story to guide your prayers and  I was astounded by what appeared on my screen – the first suggested articles, like the infamous box of JELLO, were ‘expired’ as they were accounts of stories from 2005 to 1999, and I realized that if I kept searching, the dates would lengthen.  I finally found a current story for you, Thousands of Congolese Enter Rwanda to Flee Fighting. I’ll not share any more of my thoughts this week, but simply allow this story of on-going suffering to also soften your heart and open your eyes and ears – a story of people from the DRC who lack our Father’s Good News – including People Groups who have not yet heard a proclamation of our Savior’s Good News!   BERT
---   ---   ---   ---  ---  ---   ---

No comments: