Wednesday, May 23, 2012

May 23, 2012

Writing again from the ‘teacher’s cottage’ at our seminary, Kenya Baptist Theological College (KBTC).  Jack is completing the Church Planting Methodology (CPM) course and though this week’s schedule only includes 4 hours of teaching each day, he begins a few days at 7:30 in the morning, which means staying overnight at the seminary thanks to the rains and foggy mornings!  The roads haven’t improved, actually Jack is now calling a few potholes ‘Digging to China’ holes, but in our part of the world, he should call these craters ‘Digging to Alaska' potholes – as if you dig straight down from Kenya you would end up in Alaska or in the Pacific Ocean!
This final week of teaching CPM is always Jack’s favorite part of this 45 hour course as he invites guest speakers for most classes.  He enjoyment is not due to not having to teach, but how the students respond to his guests, East Africans who are in ministry in our part of the world:  Samson Kisia, a pastor/church planter (check out today’s Prayer Nudge from East Africa); Zack Mahalangwa who explains how House Groups were the foundation of the beginning of our church, Parklands Baptist–Mombasa Road; Jeremiah Chacha representing SEMA, a leather working project which employs urban Church Planters; Shem Okello, the Coordinator of Baptist volunteers using Houses for Hope to develop churches; Euticauls Wambua, a Nairobi pastor who has led his church to plant eight churches in a remote area of Kenya; and Pius Wantene,  a Regional  Coordinator for the Baptist Convention of Kenya, who teaches his region how to plant churches through discipleship.
Pray for Jack as he continues with classes through Friday and for his guest speakers.  It is a good thing that Jack has a lighter teaching load this week as he is fighting a bad cold, so pray for quick healing. Pray also for the seminary students as they return home this weekend from this three week session.  Pray for safety in travel and for opportunities to use what they have learned and time to do ‘homework’ before they return for the next round of classes in July.  
Join us also in praying for our seminary as it continues to struggle as it works through being ‘owned’ by our convention/ local Baptist churches.  Pray especially for the Board of Governors (Jack is currently a Board member and though I am no longer on the board,  I served for many years as a member) as they make difficult decisions related to seminary’s on-going ability to serve and train.  Another prayer is for God’s choice for the new principal to become very obvious and available.
I have ‘moved’ since beginning this as the electricity disappeared again at our cottage and my computer finally died!  So, I’m now sitting at Brackenhurst using their generator as I work and repower my computer!  Yes, our lives come with problems, but it is hard to ever get bored as there is never a routine/ according to schedule day!  
My major frustration at the moment is that I’m feeling much, much better and have so much catch-up work to do. Plus, I do love my work and get so excited as I learn what God is doing in our part of the world and how He is allowing us and our co-workers  to be a part of His work.  Sometimes friends say I am overly passionate – but it is impossible to not want to share as many of these stories as possible through blogs, e-mails and Facebook!  Pray that I will be patient with interferences and totally rely upon God for His guidance and insights as I work.  I encourage you to view 2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa at http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/ to view these stories or find them on Facebook (info on the right column). 
The electricity went off and back on a few minutes ago, which means the generator has been turned off and the electricity has returned, so I was going to stop and walk back to our cottage, but the power returning coincided with the coming of a very heavy downpour of rain, so I’m stuck here for a while.  Yes, I did bring a very large umbrella, but this is wind and rain and I’ve learned the hard way that no umbrella is large enough to stay dry… so I will stop writing, but not return to the cottage until the rain slackens!  Oops, almost forgot, I do need to add what I usually say, but it is not simply the ‘politically correct’ thing to say, but from the bottoms of our hearts:  THANKS again for all you do to support us and God’s work in East Africa, BERT YATES  

No comments: