Tuesday, August 3, 2010

August 3, 2010

Visiting the local grocery store this morning reminded me of grocery shopping in North Carolina the day before a hurricane lands! The lady ahead of me and the couples at both check-outs beside me had two or more overflowing buggies of food! We live within walking distance of three large grocery stores and several beside-the-road vendors, so I usually shop every day or two for milk, bread, bananas, etc., but seeking to be “wise”, I considered buying triple my norm today. I then remembered that everything had to travel home on my shoulder, so I even more wisely limited myself to twice as much fresh milk, bread, etc!

No, we are not expecting lashing rains and wind, but many fear turbulence as Kenyans to go the polls tomorrow (Wednesday, August 4) for the first national day of voting since the December ’07 presidential elections – which ended in turmoil. Tomorrow’s vote is to say YES or NO to a new constitution. Kenyans agree that a new constitution is needed, but there are many contentious issues in the proposed constitution and some have been “interpreted” and “misinterpreted” to the point that many voters are very confused. There are some who have gained power, wealth, property, etc., from the current constitution and they do not desire change. Also, as I added last week, “Many are using this vote to strengthen their own agendas, rather than seeking what it best for the whole country.”

NO – yes, I know to never begin two paragraphs with the same word, BUT – NO! WE ARE NOT FEARFUL. We expect peace tomorrow and in coming days, but we know that there are some who may seek to cause problems, so I am sending this week’s Prayer Update a day early with these prayers requests: Pray for peace and wisdom as Kenyans go to the polls tomorrow and as results are shared. Praise God for Kenyan Christians who are seeking His guidance and will as they vote. Pray that the vote will support what is best and beneficial for the country and the majority of her citizens, not just a few. Pray that those seeking discord will be unsuccessful! Pray for a speedy and transparent announcement of the results. Pray for comfort and safety for those who live in the parts of Kenya where the pain and suffering was greatest during the ’07 Post-Election Crisis. Pray that those who disagree with the outcome will find peaceful ways to seek change and PRAISE God for those who are already working at bringing peace in this situation.

Even with added tensions and stresses this past week, it was a great week with happenings so wonderful that I have to share them so that you can also praise God for how He is at work in Kenya. Last week included two special times hosting young Southern Baptist volunteers in our home,
a farewell for a missionary couple which included a Surprise Burst of Colour, attending the wedding of a very special Christian Maasai friend, being a part of the 5th service of the new Parklands Baptist Church Mombasa Road Church, and simply times of enjoying Kenya! God is at work in Kenya – and He WILL BE in the next few days – so once again, I thank you for joining in His work as you pray for the needs of Kenya and our world! BERT
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Photo Albums of things I saw last week that I promise will strengthen your prayers and often make you smile:

No comments: