Wednesday, August 25, 2010

August 25, 2010

She was no more than four years old. Moving from car to car, tapping on the windows and hoping the passengers would offer a shilling or more.

My first reaction to this scene was ANGER! Where is the girl’s mother, the beggar who claims this corner? How can she allow her small child to be here alone weaving through Nairobi’s “no-laws-respected” traffic? For the sake of her child, why has she not accessed the assistance offered by the government, religious and other help-groups? My anger subsided a bit and this question emerged: Is her mother one of the many who has lost all hope?

I viewed this common Nairobi occurrence last week while shopping in our neighborhood – a scene especially prevalent during Ramadhan when Muslims are seeking a stronger “link between themselves and God through prayer, supplication, charity, good deeds, kindness and helping others.” (1) The next morning, as I read Acts 2:37 during my devotions, I realized that I had not captured the little girl on my camera, but the memory was recorded. Like the listeners in Jerusalem who heard Peter’s testimony after he and others were filled with the Holy Spirit, I had been “cut to the heart” and I wanted to know, “What shall we do?”

I was reminded again of the hurt and needy Kenyans as I read “Less than a dollar a day” (2) in a local paper, an appropriate story as over one half of all Kenyans live on no more than 80 shillings/1 US$ a day. As I read this report of women who have united to meet their families’ needs, I recognized that like Jack’s students at our seminary and many others who share their struggles and pain with us, these women had something that not all in our world possess – HOPE!

Last week’s experiences were not coincidences, but God’s way of teaching, guiding and strengthening me, and reminding me of the HOPE I have as His child. I have the assurance of His strength and peace and I know “what I should do” about the things that “cut (me) to the heart” – pray and rely on the Holy Spirit’s guidance as I share my Savior’s hope with the hurting and needy. One way I can do this is by sharing the photo album, “What shall we do? PRAY!” (3) My prayer is that you will see my world and join in praying for hope for the hurting and needy.

Pray for Jack as he continues teaching this and next week at our seminary. Pray that he will strengthen the hope of the students and increase their ability to share this hope with their churches. Pray for us and our co-workers as we attend a meeting beginning on Saturday. Pray that we will be better able to know God’s will and answer “what shall we do” as we serve in Equatorial Africa.

I also ask that you join me in praying for those hoping during Ramadhan for a closer relationship with God, yet they are fearful or unsure of how to claim His love and salvation. Pray also for peace and acceptance by dissenters as Kenya’s new constitution becomes law at a special government ceremony on Friday – a constitution that many call the Hope of Kenya as it can answer many of the pains and hurts of Kenya’s people. BERT

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
(1) WIKIPEDIA/Ramadhan – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramadan
(2) “Less than a dollar a day… If you save less than Sh20 a day, read on (Saturday Nation, 8-21-10, pgs. 3,6) – http://www.nation.co.ke/News/If%20you%20save%20more%20than%20Sh20%20a%20day%20stop%20here%20/-/1056/993874/-/3ubyfpz/-/index.html
Additional Links:
- “Praying Thru Ramadan” - http://namepeoples.imb.org/
- To know when daily Islamic Prayers are in your part of the world, one way to “join” them in their prayers for knowing the truths of God, go to: http://www.islamicity.com/prayertimes/

No comments: