Wednesday, June 2, 2010

June 2, 2010

“What keeps you focused on God’s purpose?” This is the challenge given at the early service at Parklands Baptist Church in Nairobi last Sunday. Our associate pastor, Simon Mwangi, shared that he always keeps a book of flags close by, including a pocket-sized one, for use as a ready prayer guide for the nations of our world. As Simon asked his question last Sunday, he held a small globe. Purchased years ago from a street vendor, Simon keeps it in the center of his office work table as a special reminder of his personal call from God to carry out the Great Commission (Matthew 29:19-20).

As Simon talked, I thought of the “focus” items on my desk: two world atlases and several maps; multiple people group references; four dictionaries (American English, British English, English-Swahili, and a Swahili-English); an NIV Bible; and my dual clock with Kenyan time and the time of my kids in North Carolina.

I also thought of what I don’t have. For years, I have debated purchasing an addition to my miniature elephant collection for my desk. The desired elephant figurine is sold in local Asian shops in many poses/styles/sizes/costs. Those of the Hindu and other faiths give these as tokens of wishes for good luck, health, wealth, etc., on special occasions. I haven’t purchased this miniature as I knew some friends might think that my having it on my desk was wrong or even evil. Yet, as Simon spoke, I realized that these figurines are already my personal “focus on God’s purpose” item. Each time I see these elephants in the shops where groceries, clothing, make-up, jewelry, or even DVDs are sold, I am challenged anew to pray for those in our world who lack the promise and assurances I have of God’s love and salvation. I am also re-challenged to find how I can be an active part of making, encouraging and strengthening disciples – my Savior’s command!

Last Sunday’s service, Parkland's annual mission emphasis, also included a parade of flags – always a “moving” time, but experiencing this on the “mission field” is extra exciting and challenging! Which leads to a question you may be asking: If God is moving in Kenya in such a strong way, why do Jack and I continue to feel that God is calling us here? Because, too few Kenyan Christians share Simon’s zeal for obeying the Great Commission - too many are still “babies” in their faith due to a lack of discipling and teaching. There are also many people groups in Kenya who have not yet heard of our Savior’s Good News. Kenya also houses thousands of workers or refugees from other countries – some who do not yet know of God’s love; others are Believers, but like Kenyans, they are not active participants of the Great Commission. Added to all of this, Kenya is surrounded by countries where there are still many people groups with only a few or no Believers and Kenyan disciples have unique opportunities to be God’s ambassadors in these places. Plus, Jack and I receive daily assurance that we are obeying God’s call as He provides us with opportunities to strengthen and encourage African Christians to be a part of our Savior’s discipleship multiplication plan!


Simon also reminded us last Sunday that although we live in a world of change and uncertainties, “God’s plan and strategy has never changed.” The Holy Spirit still equips each Christian to be our Father’s witnesses “to the ends of the earth” (Acts 1:8) and to “go and make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19). So… what keeps you focused on God’s purpose? I’m going shopping tomorrow and I will send you a picture of my little personal prayer focus next week! BERT

- - - - - - -

For a few pictures to make this Prayer Update “real”, go to: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=231439&id=685050129&l=aaac6eedc7

No comments: