Wednesday, June 24, 2009

June 24, 2009

The most frustrating part of my work as a Prayer Advocate: Figuring out what will catch and hold the attention of Americans! I don’t intend to be rude or critical, but I’ve lived in Kenya for over 30 years and I now think/respond as my Kenyan friends. The political/economic/social issues that affect my daily life are those from East Africa. This is one reason missionaries need stateside leaves: to be re-acculturated with our American homes and those of you who are our support system.

Being on Stateside Assignment is helping me understand you and your concerns, worries, hurts and joys. Hopefully it is helping me understand how to increase/encourage your prayers for Kenya in your busy daily schedule. So today, I’m offering prayer resources based on your use of incredibly fast and loaded communication tools – your phones, iPods, internet, etc, PLUS I need your help!

First, have you ever thought of using your phone as a prayer reminder? Did you know that you can download the national anthem of the country that is your heart/prayer focus? Then when your phone rings, you are reminded to pray for Kenya, Afghanistan, Iran, etc. Many of you may know how to find a “ring-tone” for your phone or favorite music list, but for those of you who aren’t as internet savvy, go to the search box on your internet page (Google, Yahoo, etc) and type in: Free Ringtone, National anthem, plus the name of the country on your heart. The Kenyan national anthem can be found at: http://www.national-anthems.net/KE

For those of you who are prayer warriors for Kenya, I found a site this week that has no pictures, but great information – Swahili Language and Culture – http://www.glcom.com/hassan/index.html . Check this out to find lessons in Swahili, a national language of East Africa. You can hear Swahili words pronounced by a real Kiswahili speaker! You will also find a Swahili Dictionary and bonus information on Kangas, the rectangular cloths which are the most all-purpose-items imaginable – shirts, skirts, head-coverings, baby-carriers, sleep-wear, bedding, table covering, etc., plus when they are “finished” they are incredible dust cloths!

Now for the bit about my needing your help: I have begun a new PRAYER TOOLBOX blog and I want it loaded with great prayer tools. So I need to know:
Have you found special websites that have helped you and/or your church pray for a country or an unreached people group?
Do you want more information on any prayer interests? (Possibly by my helping you find the answers, we can help others become strong prayer warriors!)
What has motivated you to pray or any other advice? (This does not need to relate to the internet. I want one section of what keeps people praying for missions!)

Thanks once again for praying for us and more importantly for praying for Kenya and the lost of our world, Bert Yates
* * * * * *
For more pictures and a chance to translate the Swahili proverbs, go to:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=121331&id=685050129&l=70b5bca988

No comments: