Wednesday, June 17, 2009

June 17, 2009

Why do I feel it is urgent to share these prayer letters each week, even during our time in the States? God is at work in Kenya and He has called me to be a part of that work. One way to fulfil His call on my life is by getting you involved through your physical presence in Kenya (or wherever God has called you to be active in his Harvest), through your financial support, and most importantly, through your prayers.

I am currently reading through the book of Luke during my devotions and for the last week, I keep returning to the Parable of the Good Samaritan and the conflict between Mary and Martha (Luke 10:25-42). No, I am not a very slow reader, but every time I began to move on, the Holy Spirit sends me back to reread this passage and a phrase I had highlighted in each story. In the Good Samaritan, the phrase was Luke’s description of the expert in the law wanting “to justify himself” (Luke 10:29). In the sisters’ story, it was “But Martha was distracted by …” (10:40). I have to admit that my first reaction was to apply these phrases to the shortcomings of others, but after reading our Saviour’s teaching on prayer in Luke 11, I applied it to myself.

How does the Holy Spirit’s use of the Scriptures to teach, rebuke, correct and train (2 Timothy 3:16) me relate to my believing it is urgent to continue sending weekly prayer updates even during our time in the States? I realized/recognized that my need to justify things/find excuses and my being distracted even by good/spiritual things often keeps me from having the heart which allows me to be a part of my Father’s work or to be a strong prayer warrior. The plentiful harvest in need of workers (Matthew 9:37) in Kenya and in all our world requires that I and others not allow anything to keep us from doing all we can to serve our Saviour.

Last week I shared of the IMB work with the Maasai (“Feeding the Maasai” at http://imbmaasai.blogspot.com/ ). I omitted Nancy Calvert’s recent prayer item concerning a home security problem. Nancy ended that prayer item with: “Our greatest defense, though, is prayer.” Our greatest defense/need is prayer and I don’t want to lose your prayer support for Kenya – I want you praying even when I’m not there. I also know without a doubt that IF you are praying, the personnel and financial support issues will all be solved as praying will lead you to giving not just financially, but also of your time, of your lives!

I also know that prayer leads to incredible blessings. It leads to the joy of being strengthened and encouraged as we engage lostness together (Acts 14:22, Revelations 14:6). It leads to the joy of being a part of harvest field work as we give of our time, our lives, and our finances. It also leads to the joy of communicating/ building a relationship with our heavenly Father through talking with Him through prayer. Thus another reason for sending our prayer updates – I want you, our prayer supporters, to claim these joys! Bert Yates

No comments: