Wednesday, January 28, 2009

January 28, 2009

Last week I shared that Jack was waiting on the Lord for this week as he faced several “I might’s.” He asked: “Join me in praying that God’s doors will open and I will choose the work that He has chosen for me.” Your prayers were answered and he left last Saturday for a survey of the coast of the Kenya with two Southern Baptist volunteers and five leaders of the Baptist Convention of Kenya (BCOK). Other than bits of horrible road and a few moments of frustration, the trip has been great AND they have sensed how we – the BCOK, volunteers, and missionaries – can strengthen and encourage the existing Baptist churches in the Mombasa and Malindi areas as we engage lostness together! Thank you for your prayers, but keep praying as God’s will and guidance is sought for the next steps.

I know that I am continually using these words, "Strengthening and encouraging as we engage lostness together,” as I write, but we are continually being reminded that God is at work in Kenya and He is raising a mighty army of His children who must be discipled and prepared to do His work. Jack will do this in the next week as he prepares reports/plans and as he meets with volunteers and others sharing what God is teaching him about being a part of engaging those who do not know of our Father’s love and salvation. Pray that Jack will rely completely upon the guidance of the Holy Spirit in all that he does.

I strive to strengthen and encourage as we engage lostness together by seeking prayer for Kenya and Kenyan Christians – AND yes, I’m often discouraged as I “absorb” the needs of Kenya. As I prepared this update, I looked at the list of Omba4Kenya* (Pray for Kenya) updates that I’ve sent recently and the repetition of the needs is frustrating! The January 15th update was titled, “Strikes, Scandals and Famines,” and yesterday’s was entitled, “Frozen Pay, Artificial Shortages, and a Lack of Confidence,” as the strike by government primary school teachers continues, the lack of food worsens, and scandals erode more confidence!

So why do I do this work? Because I know that through our prayers we bring glory to our Father and receive the guidance we need to be a part of completing His work; it is also how the world will know of the love and salvation offered through His Son (John 17). So my prayer request is for strength and wisdom as I prepare the weekly updates to send to you for our personal work with the Kenyan Legacy work and the updates I prepare for my other “job” as prayer advocate for all of Kenya. Pray that I will sense clearly which prayer items to share and that I will share these praises and needs clearly and in a way that will bring “renown, joy, praise and honor” to our Father as we participate together in making certain that “all nations on earth that hear of all the good things I do for it; and they will stand in awe...” of Him! (Jeremiah 33:9)
Bert Yates

* The Omba4Kenya are found at: http://www.omba4kenya.blogspot.com/

No comments: