Wednesday, January 21, 2009

January 21, 2009

This morning as I added Jack’s notes to my own thoughts of things to share with you, I realized that there is definitely a theme in this week’s update – the same theme that keeps us in Kenya! I had planned to begin this update with a special treat Jack experienced yesterday – an opportunity to share his plans, BUT more importantly his love, for helping churches plant new churches with a group of our missionaries. The longer we work in Kenya, the more strongly we believe that when this continent is won to Christ it will be African Christians who will be the ones reaping the harvest the reason we continue to believe that our job is strengthen the disciples and encourage Christians in Kenya as we engage the lostness in our world together (Acts 14:22; Revelations 14:6).

I felt this last Sunday as I participated in the third round of commissioning of Women of Impact at Parklands Baptist Church. This discipleship program was written by Ambrose Nyangao, our pastor who was discipled by many of our missionaries. Early in 2008, Martha, Ambrose’s wife, led 12 of our women’s leaders through this study of God’s Women of Impact in the Bible. Later in the year, I joined the study when each of these women led 12 more women in the study. This past Sunday’s commissioning was of twenty groups of women who were led in the study by those of us in that second round of study. I can remember when missionaries were struggling to disciple only a few at Parklands as the church began, so it was definitely a time of joy as I sat with over 100 discipled Kenyan women in two services during the commissioning time. The excitement of these women, most under 35 years of age, was contagious. Please pray for these women who are excited about being Women of Impact discipling their own groups who desire to be God’s Women of Impact!

Now for the prayer needs that Jack wanted to share with you this week: Euticals Wambua, the chairman of the Nairobi Association, and I will go tomorrow with Ron and Nancy Copeland, IMB co-workers, to view potential sites for their new business training approach for evangelism. Pray for Ron and Nancy as they begin this new ministry which has the potential of strengthening and encouraging our pastors and church leaders committed to sharing our Father’s love and salvation.

I have the opportunity on Friday to teach CPM Methodology at Kenya Baptist Theological College. I have two hours rather than my normal 12 hours for teaching this subject. Pray that God will guide my words carefully and seeds will be sewn that will result in the students getting their churches excited about starting churches.

I am waiting on the Lord for next week – something he has taught me over the years to do! I might go to the coast with volunteers on a vision trip … I might go with Baptist Convention of Kenya officers as we plan for Discipleship Programs … I might visit with a key volunteer partner who will be at the coast OR … I might just stay home … there is lots to do here. Join me in praying that God’s doors will open and I will choose the work that He has chosen for me.

Thank you for being a part of our theme. Your prayers and support strengthens and encourages us and Kenyan Baptists as we engage lostness together! Bert Yates

No comments: