Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve, December 31, 2008

We’ve had a good Christmas week. Our family’s traditional Christmas Eve mid-day steak cook-out was a success – our guests, the newest couple in our mission, are now good friends rather tool. I love preparing these blogs and sharing our work more fully with you, but it takes time, energy, and often more “smarts” than I possess, so I know it is your prayer support that enables me to complete the blogs – including the additional Lottie Moon Stories from the Harvest Field of Kenya I finished this week about theological education in Kenya: Spreading the Gospel through Education

In preparation for this month’s prayer calendar for our missionaries in Kenya, I asked my co-workers the following: What is the greatest thing that happened in your ministry this last year? How can we join you in praising God for the incredible opportunity you had to serve in His Harvest Field this last year?”

Jack’s reply reflects answers to your prayers! “As I think of a great 2008 moment in missions, I cannot help but see the entire year as a single moment. Hindered by a shoulder that would not work, subsequent surgery and the resulting order to not drive the rest of the year, I was grounded. Others may see 2008 as a year of Kenya in turmoil, but for myself, unable to do my usual active role, I relied upon my cell phone and watched as Kenya Baptists showed their maturity in dealing with the post-election violence and the uneasy peace that followed. Baptist leaders and churches responded magnificently and were ready tools in the hands of God in proclaiming peace, resolution and giving. It is not surprising that element of revival is growing within Baptists of Kenya!”
Thank you once again for your support! Your gifts to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and the Cooperative Program allow us to be in Kenya and have the funds to do our work. Thanks to your prayers, we are able to be a part of our Father’s work in the Harvest Field – THANK YOU and Happy New Year! Bert
*Today’s pictures are three of my favourites from the year including a picture of a Maasai nativity disply at our house, a special reminder of the States in the “Hershey” hat worn by a Samburu herder (likely bought in a second-hand market), and a picture of Samburu shepherds – a modern day Biblical picture!

No comments: