Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Why Am I Here?

Why am I here? Why is my serving in Africa worth the investment you and others have made in global missions through the IMB?” These are questions I have asked as I began focusing on promoting the 2015 Week of Prayer for International Missions (Nov 29-Dec 6) and the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and other offerings given in churches which support the work of the IMB.
  
These questions have also guided my choice of scriptures during my devotions in recent days. I’ve been a Believer for many, many years, but I am still truly amazed by the truth of Hebrews 4:12, “The word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.” 
His Word also provides comfort, joy, peace, mercy, guidance, answers and so much more when we are listening to Him and ready to obey Him! When we call to Him, He does provide “great and unsearchable things” (Jeremiah 33:3), assurances and answers which one cannot find in any other place, even in these days of unlimited search resources on the internet!

These are also the questions I’ve considered while reading of co-workers’ journeys as they make their own decisions about early retirement in response to the IMB’s need to downsize due to financial restraints. Our decision to stay with the IMB for a while longer is made, but many colleagues are still seeking God’s guidance. Others have made their decision and to the surprise of many, after praying and praying, they feel that God has called them to leave their current assignments. Like us, they have peace and know they have heard and are obeying God’s will, yet they are grieving as they prepare to leave their peoples who are still in need of our Good News as well as new Believers in need of “strengthening… and encouraging… to remain true to the faith” (Acts 14:22).

In the midst of all my questions and searching God’s Words, God has shown me that to review and renew one’s call is a true positive. A continually renewed awareness of why I’m at work in our Father’s Harvest Field (Luke 10:2) should and will lead to my being a more committed and stronger “fellow worker in spreading the gospel of Christ” (1 Thess. 3:2). The truly amazing and astonishing part for me? He loves me enough to want and trust me to reflect His glory (2 Cor. 3:18) and share His story with those in our world in need of His love and salvation.

As I’ve grieved with friends who are leaving, it hit me that God is getting ready to do a new thing and make a new way (Isaiah 43:19). Our newly retired workers are going to be a passionate and equipped army of warriors praying knowledgably for the unreached unengaged peoples and leading others to prayer, to serving and to providing financial support for those at work in our Father’s Harvest Fields.

Will you join me in praying that all Believers will review and reclaim the call of every child of God to be a part of proclaiming the eternal gospel “to every nation, tribe, language and people” (Rev 14:6) until “all the ends of the earth will see the salvation of our God” (Isaiah 52:10)? 

I’ve not posted lots of photos in today’s update but simply shared my heart and what God is teaching me. I've also this question which I hope you will answer: What person’s, persons’ or people group’s name have you or will you fill into the spaces on this photo illustration of Jeremiah 24:7? BERT YATES

No comments: