Wednesday, June 25, 2014

June 25, 2014

This morning as I climbed out of bed, a series of thoughts passed through my mind. Thought #1: I have not a clue what I am going to share in this week’s update. #2: I’m excited about not knowing! #3: I’m usually frustrated on a Wednesday morning if don’t already have a vague focus for the weeks’ update. So why am I excited? #4: BECAUSE it’s been truly amazing in recent weeks how God shows me new things during my morning devotions and in other ways! I AM excited about how He will lead me today!

Another true gift from God - the beautiful views outside our home!
And He did it again this morning! After breakfast, as usual, I went to the computer to check on e-mails and Facebook postings, which includes making sure today’s new Nudge to Action for Sub-Saharan African Peoples (1) is ready to post and checking on past posts and messages. Now for a bit of honesty – I do get discouraged and question if people are being nudged to action by what I share and if I am doing what God is calling me to do.

God has also blessed us with our amazing church family which has now
moved to a permanent home.  We're hoping for lots of improvements
on the property before we celebrate our 4th anniversary on July 6th.
Thus, I know it was not a coincidence, but a God-incident of encouragement and affirmation as I checked on yesterday’s post (1)and found added comments about a potential volunteer’s responding to a nudge to serve and how a church in Kentucky is not only teaching their members “to tell Bible stories to oral learners," but are active in a long-term commitment to unreached Peoples of Sub-Saharan Africa.

Viewing kids practising how to SHOUT ABOUT
JESUS was also a blessing of the past week!
I wrote last week that "I wanted to begin a series of nudges on the work of volunteers in Sub-Saharan Africa, but feared that this would be difficult. My praise: More information has come my way in recent days than I can use.” I should have added that I had been praying about this and I know this was an answer to my and your prayers.


I was also blessed by watching a friend teach
GROWING IN CHRIST, my last re-edit job
while serving with Kenya Baptist Media.
And God is still doing it! As I’ve prepared this past week’s Nudges to Action for our Peoples, I’ve seen His guidance as more and more stories appear on my computer screen from co-workers sharing unique ways they and volunteers are experiencing and sharing His Story.

A photo in place of one taken of a Bible study class captured
last week which cannot be shown - a photo of one of the army
guards patrolling our church each Sunday.  She took her gun with
her as she attended Bible study, but left her beret and water bottle!


This morning new e-mails included several updates and newsletters from IMB coworkers in Sub-Saharan Africa that were exciting and encouraging. One worker wrote of her childhood memories of hearing missionaries share their stories and photos and wanting to do this when she grew up. She joyfully shared that she is not only doing this today, but now dreaming of the impact her own kids have on sharing the Good News and leading others to dream of serving as missionaries.


A special blessing for the kids and new guests after
 church and a special reminder for those who have
lived in Kenya - Blue Band and Elliott bread
sandwiches - chai is brewing out of the photo!
Then later this morning during my devotions, even though I’m reading through the Psalms, the book I’ve read more than any other book of the Bible, God continued showing me new insights, encouragement and affirmation in His Word. In Psalm 40:1, He challenged me to rethink how often I truly wait patiently for Him and how often I fail to recognize or offer thanks when He answers. He reminded me in verse 3 that the new song He puts in my mouth includes the information He sends my way which can be shared as Nudges to Action for our people which can lead others to “see and fear and put their trust” in Him! He reminded me in verse 8 that I should always be reaffirming my desire to obey and do His will. I must use the skills and abilities He gave me to speak of his faithfulness, salvation, love and truth (v.10).

Sometimes it is hard to concentrate during
worship when you have cute little kids
sitting in front of you!
Jack is also thankful for answered prayers and God-incidents! Before he left this morning for the daily trip to Kenya Baptist Theological College, I asked for his current praises. His answer: He is thankful for how he sees God at work in the ‘unscheduled’ encounters with volunteers, former students, local pastors, etc. He is also thankful for notes he received this week from Kenyan pastors offering needed encouragement and affirmation that he is listening to and obeying God as "KBTC is REVIVED/ RESTORED… RESULTing once again in a place where African Believers can be prepared to REFLECT the PRESENCE OF GOD and become qualified and capable workers in our Father’s Harvest Field.”(3)

The cutie was the younger of two sisters, but big sister was very shy!
As I complete this week’s update, I am still amazed by how God has directed me today and astounded by His desire to use me to do His work! I know Jack is also continually astonished by God’s guidance and provisions as he serves as the principal of KBTC. We do thank you as we know this is an answer to not just our prayers, but also yours! SO please keep praying for us as we serve in Kenya. God is at work and being able to be a part of His work is amazing, astounding, astonishing, and truly AWESOME! BERT
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
(3) January 30, 2013 Yates-IMB-Kenya&SSAP post -  http://bertandjackyates.blogspot.com/2013/01/january-30-2013_30.html

One of my favorite photos of the week taken from our
new church property. 
Additional photos of the week... This first one was taken
to use as a future Nudge to Action for Sub-Saharan African Peoples.
This photo also turned out well, but pray for me as I
learn to use my new cameras - most photos
are not turning out this well!

No comments: