Wednesday, March 6, 2013

March 6, 2013

“I must send money to my wife.  She is moving all our things to a new place in a new location.”  Our friend’s comment sounds rather insignificant, but his family was moving to a new home last Saturday, two days before the March 4th national elections.   Though the man did not explain why, we knew that after elections in the early 90’s, he and his family were chased from their land and their home and all their possessions were destroyed, as was the church building (burned to the ground) where he pastored and the homes and possessions of the members of his small rural church.

This is what we viewed!  I did not 'edit' the colours!
“I arrived at my polling station at 8:15 in the morning.  The line was long. I voted 10 hours later.”  Another Kenyan friend’s explanation of why he didn’t visit us as planned last Monday.  This was the story we read over and over on the internet as a record number of Kenyans went to the polls.  Another friend thought voting would be light at her polling station and arrived mid-morning, which resulted in waiting in the equatorial sun for hours and hours before voting. Her comment:  “I will go at three in the morning in the future to avoid being cooked by the sun!” Why am I sharing these ‘voting’ stories?  Because I found it encouraging to know that our friends are committed to claiming their vote – even if it requires a sun stroke!

Line at one voting station shared as yesterday's front and back
cover on a local newspaper - one voting line was over 2 miles long!
“Make sure you go to vote. Then return home and pray… until the results are announced.”  What I heard/ read several times in the last few weeks.  The part that I omitted?  They did not ask that Kenyans pray that their favored candidate would win, but for PEACE in coming days.

Thanks to the elections, Kenyan kids have a break from school this week
and one young KBTC resident was outside washing things yesterday.
 I later discovered what was being washed!
As I write this update, Kenyans are still awaiting the results and people are continuing to pray.  The major prayer concern?  For there to be a winner, there must be losers and there is great fear that supporters of these losers will cause chaos.  So join us in praying that the country will not face a repeat of the chaotic December 2007 elections when hundreds were killed and thousands had to flee their homes after the winners were announced. 

Pray also for strength for Jack and others who are striving to REVIVE, RESTORE, RESURRECT, REVISE, and RESCUE Kenya Baptist Theological College, RESULTING in KBTC once again being a place where African Believers can be prepared to REFLECT the PRESENCE OF GOD and become qualified and capable workers in our Father’s Harvest Field. To be honest, things have not been easy, but we continue to believe that God has led us to this place at this time.  We also know that the devil would not be throwing so much at us if God didn’t have great plans for the college!  So join us in praying that we will have the RESOLVE to fully obey God and rely upon His guidance.


Yesterday, as I began writing this update, I was stressed by all the tensions around us, so I decided that a walk might lift my spirits!  Atop the wire fence capped with barbed wire which separates the college from neighbouring tea fields, I spotted a chameleon. I captured his journey for you and trust me - you will want to view “Journey of a Chameleon.”  It is not my normal NUDGE TO PRAYER, but the critter’s journey reminded me of the journey we’ve made since Jack became principal at KBTC on January 1st, as well as the journey Kenya is making.  It has been a slow journey, with lots of rough bits, barricades and wobbly times requiring backing up and moving cautiously, but as Jack said when he first viewed the video:  “We’re not giving up!  This is God’s work and we must be bold and aggressive as we move on!” A statement we can claim as we know you are praying!  BERT
---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Remember that daily Nudges to Action for Sub-Saharan African Peoples, one part of Bert’s work as the SSAP Affinity Prayer Networker can be found at http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/ and on Facebook at Sub-Saharan African Peoples https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sub-Saharan-African-Peoples/100173880060607?ref=hl )
“Journey of a Chameleon” can be found at https://plus.google.com/photos/105343089902291545775/albums/5852094050358032353

A Kenyan friend, who passed as I took this photo, showed me his
 'goose bumps' - his reaction to chameleons and their roaming eyes,
which pivot in all directions!

No comments: