Wednesday, April 18, 2012

April 18, 2012

Our weekly update is short (for me) today thanks to lots of guests a-comin’ and a-going’ around us.  It is also short thanks to my being ‘out-of-it’ thanks to a lingering cough which I experience every ten years or so.  I just heard Jack tell a co-worker that the signs for local witchdoctors are looking better and better!  Past experience says that this cough ends when it is ready, not based on anything I do –  so after the latest prescribed cough syrup, which should have left me extremely sleepy, led to two days and nights of being wide-awake, I’ve gone back to home remedies!  At least now, I’m only coughing and not walking around in a blur!

We are enjoying time in the last week with old and new friends – one of the joys of mission life.  This is also one of the ‘negatives’ of mission life as it seems that due to illnesses, new jobs, retirement, etc., you are always saying goodbye to a valued friend.  So, another item to add to your list of ‘general’ prayers for missionaries and their kids is for good friends and the ability to make new friends and keep up with old friends. 

Jack has a break from teaching and traveling this month, so he has been busy completing reports and catching up on correspondence – not his favorite work, but necessary.  Pray for him as he answers lots of questions from churches and future/past volunteers and as he completes the many reports that keep us ‘accountable’ to the IMB and to you, our supporters.

Even though I have been working at a slow pace, I continue to love ‘my work’ so much that I feel better when I continue working – specifically, reading e-mails, blogs and Facebook posts of our colleagues and learning how God is at work around them.  As always, it astounds me, although it shouldn’t, to see how God allows things to ‘appear’ on my computer screen which I realize is His guidance in what I should share on Facebook and blogs.  This time, it was all the reports that I began seeing last week of how our colleagues celebrated Easter weekend and how they saw God at work as they served Him.  So, all the Prayer Nudges from East Africa since last Friday have shared their stories!  As I began this theme, I thought I would only have enough stories for three days, but these Easter Weekend recaps will continue at least through this Friday as I continued finding more and more exciting and varied stories of how God is blessing my colleagues as they serve as His Heart, Hands and Voice in East Africa.  

Today’s Prayer Nudge is a personal one – based on the special Easter service we shared with our church family last week.  You can find these daily Prayer Nudges either on the blog,  2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa or on Facebook (directions below).  To fully share the incredible experiece we shared on Easter Sunday, you can also view the new photo album –  “Easter 2012 – Not Just a Church, But a Family”that I prepared for our church’s internet sites.  Our involvement at this less than 2 year old church continues to be one way God strengthens and encourages us. 
Another source of God’s strengthening and encouragement for us and our missionary co-workers is your prayers and others ways which you support us.  THANK YOU!  And yes, you can pray that this cough will end – for my sake and for those around me, especially for Jack!  BERT
PS: Wrote this on Tuesday afternoon and it is now Wed morning and i finally slept a few hours last night – YEAH!
---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---  ---
Prayer Nudges from East Africa can be found at:  http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/)  

“Easter 2012 – Not Just a Church, But a Family”  can be found at  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150929080835130.531328.685050129&type=3&l=512dd66758


No comments: