Wednesday, January 25, 2012

January 25, 2012

Two friends sent me messages this week.  One wrote, “I wonder how you are able to share the Prayer Nudges* every day.” The other asked,  “How do you think up all the prayer nudges?”  My reply, “ I wonder also! To be honest, I don’t know how I ‘see’ the nudges, which makes me very alert to the fact that God is the one doing the nudging! I do spend hours on the internet each day reading the blogs, newsletters and Facebook posts of colleagues, but I am continually amazed by how God brings all the thoughts and ‘pictures’ in my mind together.”
The time on the computer does get tedious and I do get lonely for real friends, yet I feel so, so blessed to have my ‘job’ which allows me to focus on what God is doing in our part of the world.  Last week in a down moment,  I questioned ‘why I do what I do?’  Is it just a passion for writing?  Am I addicted to the computer?  As always when these questions arise ,  the same answer surfaces:  It is a passion! How can one not be passionate about sharing what God is doing in East Africa!  When I hear so much good news or even not-so-good news in need of support, I simply cannot keep it all to myself – I HAVE TO SHARE IT with others!   I also sometimes question if I’m rudely pushing the prayer nudges on others, but I find the ‘good news’ I hear is SO EXCITING and in need of added praise and support, that I MUST find new warm bodies, new audiences to share this news! 
And when I question if another motive for my work is self-glory, God keeps me in check via His Word!  This week, He reminded me that rather than focusing on the ‘battles’ that I and other East African Believers are facing, I must remember, “Do not be afraid or discouraged.” Remember: These battles re not ours, “BUT God’s.” Rather than worry, we must take up our positions (which requires staying in close touch with our Father through His Word, prayer and fellowship with other Believers) and “stand firm and see” what HE IS DOING!  And there is another critical step, one I often forget: “Sing to the LORD... praise him for the splendor of his holiness as” we do His work, even that which leaves us confused, overwhelmed, or feeling inadequate!  (2 Chronicles 2:15-22)
One more question you may be thinking: WHY is Bert sharing this today?  My answer: I really don’t know, but when God keeps bringing something to mind and guides my fingers as I type these updates (and today is a little more hurried than some as we are without electricity for the second day this week), I have learned to trust that this is HIS work/ battle/ difficulties and not mine and I must trust Him! 
I will close this week with a special joy Jack and I experienced last Sunday.  The choir at our church, Parklands Baptist/ Mombasa Road, led us in singing “I Surrender All” this past Sunday not at the close of our worship service, but before the sermon during the praise/worship time.  We quickly realized that the familiar hymn takes on a whole new meaning when it is sung as  a declaration of what we are doing and as a source of praise for what happens when we do surrender all (our lives, resources, work, plans, etc.) to Him!  And as if that wasn’t enough to excite and encourage us, we ended the song by singing it in Swahili, “Yote kwa Yesu… Ee Mwokozi, Natoa sasa.”  Jack’s act of surrendering at the moment is grading seminary tests!  He is passionate about teaching, but… Pray also for Jack and the Kenyan Baptist Believers on the Board of Governors of the Kenya Baptist Theological College as they spend hours helping KBTC enter 2012 with newness of life, a new creation able to serve our Father. Pray for me as I surrender to hours on the computer and seek God’s guidance in encouraging and strengthening my East African co-workers as I find ways to  share their walk with our Father.  BERT
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
* A large part of my work Connecting East Africa via the internet (sharing the stories/ praises/ needs of co-workers with one another and with our supporters and also as a tool to encourage and strengthen them) is the daily Prayer Nudges which appear on a blog -  2012 Prayer Nudges from East Africa  – http://easternafrica2012prayernudges.blogspot.com/  and on FB at Bert Yates (https://www.facebook.com/bert.yates) or become a Facebook Friend of Imb EastAfrica https://www.facebook.com/Imb.East.Africa ) .

No comments: