Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 31, 2011

I could begin by saying that I’m exhausted, so this week’s Prayer Update will be short, but I know that as I review all the ways we’ve seen our Father at work this past week, excitement will override exhaustion – there are always too many things to praise God for and other items in need of prayer support to keep this short!

Jack is also a bit exhausted/excited this week after teaching last Friday/ Saturday in the new Kirinyaga Bible School at the base of Mount Kenya – a new Bible School found in a new Baptist association in a new county (Kirinyaga) formed by Kenya’s new constitution. Jack, who last visited this area over 20 years ago, says, “I am amazed by the incredible opportunities for church planting in this ‘booming’ area (1) with new roads, new development, and new hopes for even more economic, educational, etc., development. I want to see these five pastors/ church leaders obey God and be a part of the opportunity for spiritual development!” The Bible School was held at the Kerugoya Baptist Church – the photo (below) is their class/ dining/ bed room! At night the men plop mattresses onto two pews shoved together!

My exhaustion is from being extra hours on the computer! One reason: God put me at the right place at the right time Friday to spot a new internet offer at a great sale price – which made it affordable! Usually sale prices in our part of the world are in the two to five percent range, but it was at half price that day! The new system is not as strong as predicted, but it much faster/ better than what I was using. I still could not load a video for you today – high on my “all kinds of prayers and requests” (Ephesians 6:18) – but unlike past tries, I was able to listen with no static or delays to radio stations from North Carolina over the weekend to keep up with Hurricane Irene! Via internet, we’ve learned that our family are a little damp and have lots of yard work, but they are all safe and sound!

The other reason for my exhaustion: This is the end of Ramadan and I’ve been working extra hours on the last Prayer Nudges with this emphasis and creating a new blog to be used for Praying With Those Who Celebrate Ramadan. As the special Ramadan prayer nudges developed, I was once again astounded by how God led me to information/ thoughts/ etc. As I’ve said before, I know it is not based on my smarts, but answers to prayers – yours and mine!

These prayer nudges did not turn out as I expected, but as these progressed, I realized that the prayer nudges were forming a basic introduction to Islam for Christians – thus the blog is prepared to be used as devotions, prayer walks or simply for information. My prayer is that Praying With Those Who Celebrate Ramadan will open the minds and hearts of Christians who have not realized the need to pray for and witness of our Father’s love and salvation to those lacking assurance of these gifts and to strengthen prayer support for friends working with people of other faiths.

I know I also say often: Thanks once again for joining us in God’s work in East Africa. We do depend upon your prayer, financial and personnel support. But this is so true! We do depend upon your support. THANK YOU! BERT

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

(1) The Daily Nation (11-08-25) agrees with Jack on his definition of a booming Kirinyaga County (11-08-25) – “Let there be rice”http://www.nation.co.ke/Counties/Love+and+hate+in+the+rice+fields+of+Mwea/-/1107872/1220754/-/11msljn/-/index.html

(2) Praying With Those Who Celebrate Ramadanhttp://pray4ramadan.blogspot.com/

*** You may also want to view Loving Muslims with lots of stories, resources, prayer nudges, etc., for Christians who want to learn how to pray for and share their faith with those of another faith – http://www.lovingmuslims.com/

No comments: