Wednesday, February 23, 2011

February 23, 2011

I don't know about you, but I find it amazing how clearly God directs us to know his “will and … act according to his purpose” (Philippians 2:13). When I sit at my desk each morning, I usually have a sense of what I WANT to accomplish that day as the Internet Missions/Prayer Advocate for East Africa. But, I am always amazed by the thoughts that flow into my mind and what emerges on my computer screen – especially the connections to past/future work! I am not a dummy, but I have limitations, so I know this is an answer to our and your prayers (Thank You!) for guidance and that God is at work within my fingers and mind!

An unplanned connection this week was a challenge to claim God’s power. The Prayer Nudge which emerged on February 19, 2011 was: During my devotions this morning, I remembered the scene viewed last September at our Indian Ocean coast. This shop offers many forms of power: energy giving nuts and cookies, drinks with vitamins or caffeine, washing powder and headache medicine (among the tiny one-use packs hanging under the center small green/white banners) … as well as recharging facilities for cell phones via electricity or car-type batteries. As I read Micah 3:8 and remembered this shop, I was challenged to answer these questions: Do I really believe that "I am filled with power, with the Spirit of the LORD"? Am I fully relying on this power? Do others see evidence of this power in my life? How am I helping others claim the power that our Father offers?”

The next morning, I added this comment to the Prayer Nudge: Just noted the small words written above the store sign in yesterday's Prayer Photo Nudge: "Powered by ESSAR". My first reaction: Our world would be transformed if all Christians (me included) lived lives that announced to the world that we are "POWERED BY THE HOLY SPIRIT!"

Then at church that day I saw evidence of God at work in the life of friend (right), another strong testimony of His power. The Kenyan friend was seriously ill a year ago - she did receive good medical care, but even her doctor credited God for her miraculous healing! It was a truly great testimony as she led worshippers at our church in singing and praying, “When I worship you, I see your power and glory … I find peace, comfort, joy, and healing.”

I viewed God’s power and guidance again on Monday in an update from co-workers among an East Africa Unreached People Group, which appeared today in 2011 PRAYER NUDGES FROM EAST AFRICA*: “Our short visit to our capital city has now stretched to 6 weeks ...wow … an interesting journey. My husband has been hospitalized again with the problem the doctors thought was ‘cured’ during the last episode, so they are looking again … with tests for about everything … I tell my friends that God is giving us a chance to practice 'waiting' ... I am not very good at this … But God is teaching me to trust his current plans for us. It is hard and painful, but I am so glad that He is giving me the opportunity to practice this important part of my relationship with Him...waiting, trusting … He is so good.” Today’s Prayer Nudge: “CLAIM Psalm 17:14; 28:7 for this family and others in similar situations.”

I just took a break from writing this Prayer Update to help Jack pack the car for a stay at our seminary where he will be claiming God’s power and guidance as he moves to a new level in his Church Planting work in Kenya. This evening through Saturday morning, he will be teaching a dozen chosen trainers from all parts of Kenya at a Church Planting Methodology Conference. Our prayer is that these men will absorb all that is taught and that they will remain faithful, obedient and accountable as they return to their areas to teach/ share/ use what they learn.

Once again, I could go on and on sharing how we are seeing God at work in Kenya and in all of East Africa, but … Thank you once again for being a part of our work through sending workers, financial support and most importantly, your prayer support! BERT

--- --- --- --- --- ---

*2011 PRAYER NUDGES FROM EASTERN AFRICA: To receive these Prayer Updates via e-mail, subscribe at: http://easternafrica2011prayernudges.blogspot.com/ These Photo Prayer Nudges can also be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=351345&id=685050129&l=47f55a92ab – You DO NOT need to be a Facebook member to view these Prayer Nudges, BUT if you are a member, please send me a friend request!

REMEMBER that a new prayer team for Nairobi is meeting each Wednesday. You can join the team in praying wherever you are! To join the prayer team and view weekly prayer suggestions and praises, go to: http://www.facebook.com/PrayforNairobi (Non-members of FB can join this prayer team.)

No comments: