Wednesday, September 10, 2008

September 10, 2008

As I planned what to share with you this week, I remembered my conversation yesterday with Kenyan friends of how our God works and I realized that I need to thank you for being a part of how He works in our lives. Recently I’ve read through Proverbs during my devotions. My tin of coloured pencils are always close by and the verses became extremely colourful as I marked those that “jumped out” anew at me – most about how I should relate to our Heavenly Father and how to build my relationship with Him. I found myself making more detailed notes than usual and I even remember asking myself one day – “Why am I doing this?”

The answer came last week through a phone call from a young man in our church. He asked me to write a Bible study for an emphasis of our church’s House Groups (church members who live close to one another and meet weekly to have fellowship, Bible study and possibly begin a new church in their area). I should not have been, but was truly amazed when I was given the theme – Ezra 7:10, God Is All You Need. As I read, “Ezra had devoted himself to the Law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel,” I realized immediately that the Bible study was already in my head, heart and notes! After just a little more preparation, it took me only an hour to complete the Bible Study once I began writing – not because of my smarts or gifts – it was the answer to your prayers!

It was also an answer to you prayers when I “bumped into” a friend as I left the sanctuary Sunday morning. Salome, one of the Mrema girls from Mombasa (their Dad was the long time pastor at Chamgamwe Baptist Church), was my first “job” with Kenya Baptist Media. I was asked in the early 80’s to be her partner/typist as she was trained to write African Sunday School materials. God had different plans for Salome and she did not continue as a writer, but it got me started! Sally, as she is now known, went on to marry an incredible young Christian man who was also discipled by Baptist missionaries. They are now active disciplers/teachers at Parklands, the parents of two beautiful kids, and she uses her accounting and administrative skills (sharpened at the Baptist Centre in Shauri Moyo!) with FEBA international Christian radio. As we talked about the writing project, she confirmed that an idea bouncing through my head was not just my idea, but God leading me to guide the study in a slightly different format – This was not coincidence or luck, but the answer to your “guided” and “unguided” prayers!

I try to share our specific prayer needs with you, but sometimes there isn’t time, etc, BUT even your “general” prayers make a difference in our lives and work even when I can’t share specific guides. Jack is certain of this when the many “unexpected” calls arrive each week and he knows how to respond, encourage and even correct at times. I am certain of your prayers when God brings my thoughts together as I write prayer requests and what evolves is not at all what I “planned”.

Our “guided” prayer needs this week are for wisdom for Jack as he advises/encourages/strengthens Kenyan Baptist leaders facing many challenges. Pray for me as I develop a blog to guide prayers for those facing poverty. THANK YOU for being a part of our work through your prayers and the other ways you support us! Bert Yates

No comments: