Wednesday, February 18, 2015

February 18, 2015

I will praise you with the harp for your faithfulness, O my God; I will sing praise to you with the lyre… My lips will shout for joy when I sing praise to you. My tongue will tell of your righteous acts all day long.” Psalm 71:22-24 NIV

How can you not praise the One who created
 this beauty found in our yard in Nairobi?
I do have some musical skills, so trying to praise God by playing a harp and lyre might be fun, but it would definitely not lead others to praising God! Yet, as I read Psalm 71 last Sunday morning at Jack’s suggestion (his reading during morning devotions), it was an awesome example of how “the word of God is living and active… it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart” (Hebrews 4:12 NIV).

Second-hand shop located near KBTC.  I'm not
sure they have electricity, but OLX is a free
internet service connecting buyers with sellers!
I had awoken that morning remembering a recent event when God was “my rock and my fortress” (v.3) as I faced a difficult situation of someone attacking my work – which is using social networking to “tell of HIS righteous acts.” At that time, I was astounded by God’s gifts of the right words and attitude, thus my initial response was thanking Him for His guidance. But for some reason, that morning my heart was broken by the hurt of the cruel and harmful (vv. 4, 24) attack. I might as well be honest, my dialogue with Jack at breakfast, BEFORE he asked me to read Psalm 71, had included my mentioning that I was “old and gray” (v. 17).

We also often thank God for His protection as we travel in Kenya
This photo captured mid-day, which is an awful time to take photos
in Kenya, was taken to get the men running with the donkey - not
quite sure why they were doing so.  Only while editing the photo did
I spot the motorcycle transporting a man hauling a wheelbarrow!
A bit later, we listened as Exodus 3:1-10 was read at Parklands Baptist Church. As Pastor Simon Mwangi preached, I found myself applying Moses’ ‘burning bush’ questions to my work on the internet. I questioned, “’Who am I’ (3:11) to do this work of sharing what you are doing in our lives, among Sub-Saharan African Peoples and at the Kenya Baptist Theological College?” Are people listening (4:1) and responding? And similar to Moses’s response about having never been eloquent and equipped in Exodus 4:10, I questioned if I should be doing media work as my degree was in Social Work, not Media!

I'm also currently using my hands and feet
to do a bit of sewing new covers for cushions,
curtains, covers around photos, etc., to
'spruce-up' KBTC offices.
Once again, God’s living and active Words to Moses spoke to me. “I will be AND AM with you" (Exodus 3:12). I have called you to do this work (v.15). “Who gave man his mouth (and her hands for computer work)… Is it not I, the LORD? Now go; I will help you speak and teach you what to say" (4:11-12).

Every time we leave home, we see COKE signs
and water being hauled as many people lack
water in their homes and businesses. A great
reminder of the need to share of the one who 
provides "streams of living water" (John 7:38).
I am not sharing all this today due to a continued time of self-doubt or having a pity-party, but to share that missionaries are real people with real feelings, as well as times of self-doubt being hurt by the actions of others. Unlike Moses, I do not choose to ask God to “please send someone else to do it" (4:13). I choose to continue doing the work I know He has called me and equipped me in His harvest field.

One of the screens used as Parklands in their huge
sanctuary to help members see what is happening.
I want to fully claim the hope that only He can give and praise Him more and more (Psalm 71:14). I want to not just use my mouth, but the internet to “tell of HIS righteousness, of His salvation all day long… and proclaim HIS mighty acts” (Psalm 72:14-16).

One of my joys is claiming many members of
Parklands media team as friends!
I also want you to know how God answers your prayers for Jack and me, even your prayers for our unspoken needs. Included in last Sunday’s worship services at Parklands was an affirmation I needed as comments were share of how the church uses social media to “tell of HIS righteousness, of His salvation all day long… proclaim HIS mighty acts” (Psalm 72:14-16) through an internet LIVE STREAM of their sermons, a web site, Facebook, and many other media tools sharing a witness of His love and salvation not just in their city, but in their country, to their continent, “and to the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:8).

I've said it before, and know I'll say it again: One way God
answers your prayers for strengthening and encouragement for us
is by sending us incredible views such as this spotted this morning.
Was all that happened last Sunday a coincidence? NO! It was a God-incident as He used His Word and fellow Believers to encourage and strengthen me and I know it was in response to your prayers! Last week, you prayed me through quick healing of an allergy attack. You prayed us through exhaustion and poor sleep. You joined us in praying that “we will see and hear exactly what God wants us to hear and see… share His story and be a true witness of His love and salvation.”

Old photo spotted this week, taken during a lunch
break at a church planting seminar in western Kenya.
I remember wishing I could imitate this little one!
We could share many more stories, especially stories of how God is sending the right people with the right skills and abilities – skills and abilities He provided to them – to join His work at the Kenya Baptist Theological College! Thank you for praying and please continue praying for us in specific needs we can share and for those that we are not able to share. BERT YATES
---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Remember to view the daily Nudges to Action for Sub-Saharan Peoples which shares what God is doing among Sub-Saharan African Peoples and how you can join in His work through prayer, serving and giving! (https://www.facebook.com/SubSaharanAfricanPeoples)

You can also keep up with KBTC and what Jack is doing at https://www.facebook.com/KenyaBaptistTheologicalCollege. Both links are on FB, but can be viewed by anyone!

For link to the LIVE STREAM of Parklands Baptist Church, visit http://parklandsbaptist.org/.

No comments: