Wednesday, December 17, 2014

December 17, 2014

“Every skilled person to whom the LORD has given skill and ability to know how to carry out all the work… are to do the work just as the LORD has commanded… every skilled person to whom the LORD had given ability and who was willing to come and do the work. They received… all the offerings… brought to carry out the work… And the people continued to bring freewill offerings.” (Exodus 36:1-3)

Bert's view during devotions this week and
through the end of the year - the view from
the porch glider at our home in Nairobi.
As I read these words during my devotions this week, I realized that this is what God is doing in our lives and through others. I will honestly admit that there have been times when Jack and I question what we got ourselves into when two years ago we accepted that God was calling Jack to become the principal of the Kenya Baptist Theological College. Another bit of honesty - this is not what we ever imagined doing.

A special gift Bert received last week 'offered' by KBTC staff kids -
a moment of pure joy while walking to Thursday's chapel as one kid
hid from me and another did flips to entertain me! Then the shy kid
smiled and posed for me with a younger friend!

But, God has constantly shown us that He is with us and has given us the skill and ability to do what He asks of us. We’re continually astounded by how God provides and guides when we obey Him and allow Him to be the one in charge. More importantly, God also reminds us continually that we are not alone – KBTC’s current staff members are also willingly, joyfully and obediently using their God-given skills and abilities to do His work, even when pay checks are late, problems arise, etc.!

A skill greatly appreciated in East Africa - the
ability to make chapatis!  These were served
at the KBTC Christmas Staff party.
PLUS, there are those in Kenya and other places who are providing their offerings of prayer, encouragement and other support needed “to carry out the work” God has given to us and others at KBTC, which includes His work of the school being a place where Believers are prepared to reflect the presence of God and become His qualified and capable workers in His Harvest Field.

At last Saturday's Christmas luncheon for the staff and their families,
beef stew, grilled chicken, rice, veggies and cake were also enjoyed.
I cannot remember how many times I’ve heard Jack share his amazement of how when there is a need, God provides - NOT ever too early and NOT ever too late - the answer through His children. When some suggest that Jack may be moving too fast at KBTC, his response is: “I’m not worried about moving too fast. My concern is that I’m not moving fast enough to keep up with God!”

But before the meal and the special worship time together,
all the kids received gifts.  Some were a bit reserved at
first, but all were smiling before the end!

Why am I sharing all of this today? To thank you for your prayers, encouragement and other ways you support us as we serve in Kenya with the IMB, especially during the last two years. We say “we are partners working together for God” (1 Corinthians 3:9, GNT) because we know we could not do what we do without your partnership!

As shared last week, my usual baking
skills were not evident last Wednesday.
This is the 'extra' cake I had to bake,
but don't worry, we brought no left-
overs home from the cakes I took to
the KBTC Christmas party!
I’ve shared how Jack and KBTC are experiencing this, but I also see it in my work as the Prayer Networker for the Sub-Saharan African Affinity. I know your prayer support is at work when I sit at the computer unsure of what to share as future Nudges to Action for SSAPeoples and the right things appear in notes or messages as soon as I turn on my computer. Weekly, I experience times which I know are not coincidences, but God-incidences when a friend is discouraged and I’m able to send a note of encouragement within seconds of the time they share a FB post or message. Yes, I know I’m a smart woman and I do seek to be available for God to use me, but I know that these happenings have nothing to do with my wisdom or abilities, but God’s guidance and timing in response to your prayers!

KBTC staff are blessed with lots of kids!
So thank you for being our partners as we work together for God. Thank you for allowing us to be a part of doing all His work of sharing His story, His love and His salvation with every nation, tribe, tongue and people as He commanded (Exodus 39:42; Revelation 14:6). BERT and JACK YATES
...   ...   ...   ...
Nudges to Action for SSAfrican Peoples at   https://www.facebook.com/SubSaharanAfricanPeoples.
Kenya Baptist Theological College at  https://www.facebook.com/KenyaBaptistTheologicalCollege.
More on the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering at  http://www.imb.org/main/lottie-moon/lmcoatwork.asp?PageNavID=111.

This little one slept through much of the worship time,
as did the youngest resident of KBTC who is only a few weeks old!

And the younger kids found it very hard to stay
attentive to the worship time after viewing one of
their gifts - a ball which glows when bounced!


No comments: