Wednesday, September 17, 2014

September 17, 2014

“I am yours… Ensure your servant's well-being;
let not the arrogant oppress me… I am your servant;
give me discernment… My eyes stay open…
that I may meditate on your promises.”

These Common Waxbills were also enjoying the sunny day
as I walked yesterday to the upper KBTC building where
the students sleep, study, and eat.
As I read Psalm 119 in my devotions this morning, the phrases “I am yours” (v.94) and “I am your servant” (v.125) caught my attention. I found myself asking: Do I truly claim my position as my Father’s child, as His servant? How often do I fully recognize and claim that my relationship with my Father makes me a very, very special person and gives me access to authority, strength, and so much more.

The men's dorm is a bit cramped, but one day
they will have better sleeping quarters upstairs.
Verse 122 left me asking why I allow oppressive situations and people to leave me stressed, worried, etc. The psalmist’s desire to meditate (v.148) on our Father’s Word answered my query – I am too often overwhelmed because I fail to keep my focus on my relationship with my Father, who can do the impossible and enable me to join in doing His impossible to man work (Matthew 19:26)!

Classrooms, music practice rooms and the dining
room/ chapel and kitchen are all now on the lower
floor, which at the moment is the only completed
floor - with the exception of the shower block in
one corner of the second of the three planned floors!
I'm not sure why all of this passed through my thoughts this morning, but these are lessons and assurances that God has continually taught Jack and me in the two years since we began accepting that He was calling Jack to serve as the principal of the Kenya Baptist Theological College. There have been frustrating times when our focus was on oppressing issues, yet as we've focused on God, we've learned to totally trust and rely upon Him and experience anew the joy of being His child and serving Him!

The students aren't allowed in this room - but they do
enjoy what is prepared in the kitchen, including
this lunch of hot chapatis and vegetable stew. 
I asked Jack yesterday to write his current prayer requests for KBTC. As I read through his prayer items, I was awed by how much has been accomplished since he began serving as KBTC principal in January 2013. We have seen impossible things happen, including the many times that times of oppression and need turned into times of praise. Always at these times it was obvious that this was not about what Jack, I or others had done, but how God used our actions or those of others to accomplish His plans and purpose for KBTC. He continually showed us what a powerful, mighty, and awesome God we serve!

The students and staff enjoyed a full day yesterday of
Dr Greg Brooks, Executive Pastor at First Baptist Church at
The Villages (Orlando, Florida), teaching the book of Ephesians.
Thus I can share Jack’s prayer requests today with full knowledge that God has answered our past prayers and He can and will answer these, no matter how impossible it seems!

> PRAISE for renewed desire by students to prepare for service. (Bert: Praise also for the growing confidence in the ability of KBTC to prepare students for service and students arriving with fees.)

No, KBTC does not enrol students
this young!  Yesterday's second special
guest is the son of a staff member!
> PRAY for KBTC’s Board of Governors as they lead the college in the accreditation process. (Bert: This is an important step in KBTC becoming better equipped to train God’s children to accomplish His work.)

> PRAY for various staff as they travel around Kenya promoting the college and calling out potential students called to serve. (Bert: Today’s Nudge to Action for Sub-Saharan African Peoples gives clues to why prayer for travel is so important.)

> PRAY for finances to complete our main building for full use in 2015. (Bert: This sounds impossible, but as we've seen happen again and again in the last 2 years, our God will make sure the impossible happens when His servants truly seek to obey Him, seek His guidance and focus on Him.)

The building with a future! One floor completed, second floor
partially begun and the third floor still only visible on paper!
And as always, thank you for the strengthening and encouragement we receive by knowing you are joining us in prayer, BERT YATES
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Remember that daily Nudges to Action for Sub-Saharan African Peoples are found at   https://www.facebook.com/SubSaharanAfricanPeoples.

For info on how God is allowing His children to join in His work at KBTC, visit  https://www.facebook.com/KenyaBaptistTheologicalCollege. Both of these sites can be viewed by non-Facebook members.
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Now for some added photos that will hopefully help you appreciate why we love living in Africa!

And while Dr. Brooks taught yesterday, the security staff
were busy outside watching the expert on the right do his
job - Rounding-up moles!  Both times I left the building,
they tried to get me to view the most recent find
up close and personal - but I declined the offer!
In last week's update I shared a photo of a goat atop a truck
which we viewed as we returned for our weekend visit to
our home in Nairobi. Last Friday, we followed this truck
of chickens! We feared that most were dead, but when the
truck stopped for a bit due to traffic, hundreds of heads
began bobbing around, taking in the scenery!

Remember last week's photo of the cows that were walking
down the road to our church?  The herd had grown this week!

No comments: