Wednesday, February 4, 2015

February 4, 2015

"Be on your guard… On my account you will be witnesses … do not worry about what to say or how to say it. At that time you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.” 
Matthew 10:17-22 NIV

Change the little girl's clothes and this scene spotted
near KBTC could be a scene from Bible times.
When I read our Saviour’s commands to “Be on guard,” I usually interpret this as: BE READY for problems! I did search for this verse this morning due to a discouraging and painful meeting this week when I was not consciously being on guard. But as I read Matthew 10:17 in different translations, I realized that His command can be a positive!

The great views of flowers and birds
through the cottage's kitchen
window greatly enhances the
chore of washing dishes!
* BEING ON GUARD for God’s guidance: While washing lunch dishes one day last week at our cottage at the Kenya Baptist Theological College, I spotted Professor Chacha talking with a mzungu (person of European descent) woman. Chacha has many friends from around the world, so I thought it would be interfering to go out and meet the person.

I know the Spirit does nudges us to be a part of God’s plan, so after minutes of debate (and not simply to escape dishwashing), I ventured out of our cottage. I quickly learned that Chacha had just met Sheryl from Alabama, a guest at a conference at Brackenhurst (KBTC’s close neighbor) and was giving her a mini tour of our campus. He was on his way to meet students, thus I completed the tour.

I offered, but my new friend did not want to buy any
of these hand-made items available in Limuru.
I truly love my job which requires spending hours daily on the internet sharing what God is doing among Sub-Saharan African Peoples, but I do miss contact with people away from the computer and I quickly realized God had sent me a new friend! We visited often during the next few days, which also turned into Sheryl becoming a friend of KBTC and experiencing the real lives of missionaries as she shopped with me in Limuru, the nearest town, which is really a big village and offers adventuresome shopping.

Jack and Moses (Music Department Director) sharing
 their dreams for KBTC with volunteers whose original
plans were cancelled and a friend of KBTC suggested
they use their 'free time' to check out the college!
* BEING ON GUARD for God’s blessings: This morning, Jack had a scheduled meeting with two leaders of the Baptist Convention of Kenya. He always enjoys these meetings, but having lots of KBTC issues to discuss, he could have been disappointed when a third man joined the meeting. But he quickly realized that God was providing a blessing! A major issue at this Friday’s KBTC Board of Governors (BOG) meeting is accreditation by the Kenyan government. Jack is meeting with his new friend this afternoon, a Kenyan man with “tons of contacts and knowledge needed for accreditation” who wants to help KBTC.

Staying focused on the road  is a bit difficult
when spotting things such as this motorcycle
with it's colourful 'shield' windscreen!
* BEING ON GUARD means staying focused on God, His work, His plan and purposes: Jack reminded me of this after the disheartening encounter I experienced this week. He reminded me that our focus must be on serving our Father, which requires being on guard so we can know how to obey and serve Him!

Getting ready for the Board of Governors meeting is Jack’s focus this week which needs your prayer support. Pray that those on the BOG “will catch the spirit of accreditation.

We definitely focused on this view as we travelled
to church last Sunday. Not sure if the driver is
in his choir robe or what!
My focus is sharing daily Nudges to Action (Praying/ Serving/ Giving) for Sub-Saharan African Peoples and posting info on other internet sites, as well as ‘spiffing up’ the entry way to KBTC’s administration building BEFORE the BOG meeting. Pray that I will always be sensitive to the Spirit’s guidance and allow God to speak through the work I prepare and in my good and not-so-good encounters with others. Pray that we will always be bold witnesses of our Father and rely upon His guidance in all we say and do. BERT YATES   
--- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Remember to view the daily Nudges to Action for Sub-Saharan Peoples which shares what God is doing among Sub-Saharan African Peoples and how you can join in His work through prayer, serving and giving! (https://www.facebook.com/SubSaharanAfricanPeoples)

You can also keep up with KBTC and what Jack is doing at https://www.facebook.com/KenyaBaptistTheologicalCollege. Both these links are on FB, but can be viewed by anyone!
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
More views of the week which brought us joy.
Two of the children's' Sunday School classes at our church,
Eastgate Baptist, were taught last Sunday by men!
And you can tell that our church is a young
technology alert church - Member registration
was done last Sunday via cell phone messages!

Below, two of my favourite photos taken while visiting the
Naivasha Childrens Shelter where a friend ministers.


No comments: