Wednesday, January 7, 2015

January 7, 2015

“The LORD answered Moses, ‘Is the LORD's arm too short?’” Numbers 11:23

A Christmas gift to myself:  The joy of visiting
Biashara Street and buying African fabrics to
update furnishings and wall hangings at KBTC.
As we returned to the KBTC campus Sunday afternoon, I asked Jack why the staff had three weeks instead of the usual two for a Christmas break. His answer: “They worked hard last year and everyone was exhausted! Funds didn't allow year-end bonus, so the extra week was their zawadi (gift)!”

Viewed  one morning as we ate breakfast on the
porch of our home in Nairobi, enjoying the quiet
in the neighborhood as work at the many nearby
construction sites also took a Christmas break!
And to be honest, Jack’s staff were not the only ones who needed a break. We enjoyed sleeping past 6 most mornings, having time to celebrate Christmas with mission family and friends, and simply doing nothing but resting, reading for fun, and enjoying nature at times! Our computers were still our constant companions, but it was nice to catch up on work that required energy, intellect and time ALL at the same time! Another bit of honesty: I don’t think either of us realized how much we needed this break until we each realized how good it felt to be so refreshed!

The classroom/ dining/ dorm building still
suffers from an 'old' problem - these stairs lead
NOWHERE as the building awaits more floors!
Thus we did return ready to begin the new year with energy and excitement, but I have to admit, there was still a bit of wariness on my part! Things have improved so much at KBTC during the last two years, but sometimes I question how Jack keeps going as new problems arise and old problems refuse to be solved! Thus, I really needed to read Numbers 11:23 during my devotions last week.

Spotting this beauty as I walked to chapel yesterday
definitely was worth slowing down!
It was a great reminder that I needed to claim my favorite Psalm and remember that “The LORD is my light and my salvation… The LORD is the stronghold of my life” (Psalm 27:1), thus I don’t need to fear or be afraid of anything when I seek God’s guidance and protection (vv. 4,5), choose to praise Him rather than dwell on difficulties (v. 6), pray seeking His will (v. 7), and allow Him to teach me His ways (v. 11)! As I do these things, I can and must be confident that “I will see the goodness of the LORD” (v. 13). But – and this is a big BUT – I must slow down and “Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD” (v. 14), trusting His timing and His purpose!

Not sure is this old vehicle, spotted in a village over
the holidays, is 'available and ready'! An internet site
reports that this Kenyan licence was issued in 1953!
I’m not much for making New Year’s resolutions, but God sent me another challenge as I read Isaiah 50:2, a verse cited in Numbers 11:23. “When I came, why was there no one? When I called, why was there no one to answer? Was my arm too short…?” I was reminded that what I do is not simply doing a ‘job’, but in response to His Call. I must never take what I do as His child for granted; I must daily realign myself with His will and always make sure I am available and ready to answer Him.

The reason we were driving through the village was
a jam on the highway. We never figured out why,
but these kids found all the cars entertaining!
Yes, I know this may sound a bit preachy or ‘missionary’, but the older I get, the more I learn that I will always be learning more about our Father and how to be His child. It also takes a constant new resolve to obey and follow His call. So would you join Jack and me in praying that we will put aside our fears and concerns about the problems we face, and rely fully upon God during 2015?

Praying for the new class (536) which began on Monday and
a special music conference during the first KBTC chapel
of 2015. Pray for the 20 students who have not yet joined the
the new class as they get their kids settled in their new school
years, arrange for transportation, etc. More from KBTC at
www.facebook.com/KenyaBaptistTheologicalCollege
Pray that as Jack strives to lead KBTC to being a place where God is truly glorified and able to train His servants and as I nudge* you and others to action (prayer, serving and giving) for Sub-Saharan African Peoples, that we will constantly seek God, His guidance, protection and direction. Pray that we will always be sensitive to His timing and purpose and be where He wants us, ready to respond to His call.

Our delayed Christmas gift to two missionary kids
who stayed with us as they travelled back to boarding
school - a visit to two newly opened places in Nairobi!
Pray also that we will always be alert to the need for praise and thanksgiving to God and to those of you who enable us to do what God has called us to do – Which you do as you pray, join us in serving Him and as you give to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering and Cooperative Program.   BERT YATES
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
*Remember to view the daily Nudges to Action for Sub-Saharan Peoples which shares what God is doing among Sub-Saharan African Peoples and how you can join in His work through prayer, serving and giving!
---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Three views of birds captured this past week:
I wanted a photo of this bird perched in a tree,
but it flew away as I focused!
Sometimes the birds look at me as I take their photo,
and sometimes they are shy!
I spotted this bird as I returned from chapel yesterday.
His mouth is filled with a bit of food which was so large
and heavy it caused problems during the bird's 'take-off'!

No comments: