Wednesday, November 5, 2014

November 5, 2014

“God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow… and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord... it is God who works in you to will and act according to his good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may… shine like stars… as you hold out the word of life. (Philippians 2:9-16 NIV)

God definitely had a sense of humour when He created
these Hornbills which we spotted last month in the
Kakamega Forest and yes, they are REAL!
I have often quoted, taught and wrote about Philippians 2, but recently as I read this chapter I found myself laughing. I don’t remember what I had been “complaining or arguing” about earlier that day, but I do remember why I laughed.  God had done it again! He had used familiar verses – verses I thought I knew well – to correct me. 

I haven't counted, but I likely captured 200
photos of this African crowned eagle. Having
something this big eyeing you was a bit scary!
The laughter came not just from God’s crafty way of offering a rebuke, but also from the thought that some of you may be a bit surprised by the types of work missionaries do as we work towards the day when “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow… and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord” (v.10-11).  In all honesty, often what we must do to accomplish this is not in the expected Great Commission ‘discipling/ baptizing/ teaching and obeying’ categories!  

Another photo which held
a surprise.  I thought I spotted
two tails as I took the
photo, but didn't spot the baby
until I edited the photos.
Example:  I love taking, editing and using the photos to share what God is doing among the Sub-Saharan African Peoples, but I hate organizing my photos for later use.  I dislike taking the time to sort thousands of photos (which I must do as my computer is having problems due to being ‘overloaded’) and deleting the majority (but I keep remembering the hidden ‘gems’ found in photos I’ve viewed umpteen times and how many times I’ve deleted a photo and later wanted it to illustrate a prayer nudge, etc.), as well as labeling/ tagging the photos so that I can easily find an illustration when needed (I find tagging to be a very, very boring and time consuming job). Yes, that was a super-duper, run-on, too-long sentence, but I think you understand why I’m so far behind in organizing my photos.

Jack ahead, followed by Jane and her husband, Weru,
two who have been with KBTC since the beginning,
walking to chapel this week.  Pray for the students
who began three weeks of classes this week.
Jack’s current example which might appear as time-consuming busy work is sorting through volumes of past KBTC reports/ records and figuring out where missing files can be found.  It is exciting when he finds a needed file or an unexpected bit of information which completes the current puzzle he is encountering, such as finding past work which can be used in the current work towards accreditation, but he also comes home discouraged as he is reminded of past problems and difficulties. 

Contrasts are constantly experienced in Africa.  On Tuesday while eating
lunch in our cottage at KBTC, I heard a monkey screeching nearby,
but I didn't get outside quickly enough to get a photo.
Later in the afternoon, I did capture this view of the city of Nairobi
glistening in the sun. An amazing view considering it takes at least
an hour to drive from KBTC into the city centre!
Another example occurred this morning when I had to delay writing this update to repair curtain rods in one of KBTC’s guest houses.  I did complain a bit (to myself) before remembering Philippians 2 and that proper window covers would help a family feel  more comfortable as they study at the language school housed at KBTC – a Chinese couple whose hearts’ desire is ‘hold out the word of life” among peoples who speak Kiswahili. 

Not sure I'll ever need  to use this photo to illustrate a
Nudge to Action for our Sub-Saharan African Peoples,
but you never know! Make sure you spot these daily
Nudges to Prayer, Serving and Giving at
www.facebook.com/SubSaharanAfricanPeoples.
So this week, pray for us to remember that what we are doing is God’s work and we must allow Him to work in us “to will and to act according to his good purpose.” Pray that we will wisely discern and DO God’s work.  Pray that as edit and label photos that I will remember that this will help you and others pray in the future, which I know is a part of His will.  As Jack continues reading through more and more files, pray that he will remember that this is not simply busy work, but work that will allow KBTC to be restored and better able to train and equip African Believers to “to will and to act according to GOD’s will” as we join together in holding out the word of life to those without our Saviour. BERT YATES
---   ---   ---   ---   ---
Two more photos captured during our trip to western Kenya -
these of the resident rooster at the KBTC branch
in Kisumu - one from outside where it was supposed to be
and one taken inside the men's dorm where it was not to be!

Now for a serious bit.  I've not mentioned EBOLA having any effect upon us, other than praying for those affected by this deadly outbreak and this borrowed illustration explains why!

No comments: