Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July 9, 2014

Today I'm working at my usual in my closet-
office in Nairobi.  This is a photo of me finding an
out-of-the-sun position, but within internet
connection while at the game park in late June.
Did you spot the giraffe by the water hole?
During my devotions this morning, I pondered how to share our experiences of the past week. As I read Psalm 53, the fifth verse ‘jumped out’ at me: “There they were overwhelmed with dread, where there was nothing to dread.” On the first reading, I misinterpreted the identity of the ‘they’ and I applied these words to God’s children, rather than the ‘evil-doers’ being filled with terror and fear.

There was a bit of legitimate dread/ fear when we
came around a corner late in the afternoon while at
the game park and spotted a rhino family -
 especially when the big daddy crossed the road and
stared at us as though daring us to come closer.
As I continued reading and came to “Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me” (54:4), I realized that my earlier interpretation was not a mistake. It was God’s reminder that I do allow things to overwhelm and confuse me, when I should be claiming His help and strength. I realized that my pondering what to share was based on the mixture of good and bad news experienced this past week. I was unsure how to balance the extremes as I tried to adequately share our prayer needs and concerns. His Word reminded me that I had to fully allow Him to help, guide and sustain me as I share today.

Pastors Ambrose (Parklands),  Samson Ojienda
 (Baptist Convention of Kenya) and  Bern Otuma
 (Eastgate Baptist) unveiling the dedication plaque.
The good, really good news was the joyful day our church family experienced last Sunday as we celebrated our 4th anniversary and the official inauguration of Parklands Baptist Church Eastgate (formerly PBC Mombasa Road) in our new home, the former site of the Embakassi Baptist Church. Words alone cannot describe the joy and praise as we remembered the beginning of our new church, how God has guided and sustained us, and the excitement of what is ahead as we minister in an area of with 1.2 million residents, with only “100,000 people attending church on any given Sunday” (shared in day’s program). Our prayer request is that our church family will put aside all ‘dread’ and anything that will keep us from claiming God’s power and being His witnesses in the eastern gateway to Nairobi and in all of Nairobi, Kenya, Africa and “to the ends of the earth" (Acts 1:8)

Jack and Pastor Ambrose with one of our favourite people -
Pastor David Kiatu!
Now for the bad or rather sad news. Early last week, we were keeping up with news from my family as my mother had risky hip surgery and my brother had a stroke. Just as we received word that the two of them were healing well, we learned that Jack’s Mom had suffered a mild stroke. As we began praising God for the care and healing she was experiencing, we heard that there had been another deadly attack on Kenya’s coast. (1) This did concern us as we prayed for peace and healing for all involved, unaware until late Monday that one of those killed was a friend and former colleague.

Weswah leading the procession for graduation at the
Kenya Baptist Theological College in 2008.
Jack shared the following on KBTC’s Facebook page (2) yesterday afternoon: “It is with profound sorrow and shock that KBTC announces the death of our former Principal, Enos Nambafu Weswah, 5 July, 2014. While visiting Mpeketoni near Lamu, he was brutally murdered along with 28 others. Weswah began teaching at KBTC in 1991 and served as Registrar, and Deputy Principal before becoming Principal in 2005. He served until retirement in 2010. He leaves Edna, his wife, and Yolanda, his daughter.”

Paper-thin chapatis, rice, veggies, chicken
and beef stew were served after Sunday's celebration.
Please join us in praising God for caring for our family members in the States and praying for continue healing. Pray also for God’s care, comfort and peace for Weswah’s family and all of the Baptist family in Kenya. Pray especially for the KBTC family as they serve our Father and minister during this time.

I know I often say that we are thankful for your prayer support, but please know that we do depend upon your prayer support and value the many ways you strengthen and encourage us. BERT YATES
---   ---   ---   ---   ---
* Latest raids on Kenyan Coast - http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/06/us-kenya-attacks-idUSKBN0FB05R20140706
**Kenya Baptist Theological College Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/KenyaBaptistTheologicalCollege
Lots of great stories shared this past week in the Nudges to Action for Sub-Saharan African Peoples, which can be found at https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sub-Saharan-African-Peoples/100173880060607.

And the finale of last Sunday's celebration - a "Piga picha, Mama" request
as we left! The youngest was too busy eating her chapati to pose!

No comments: